Author Topic: Piggy Poker  (Read 1731 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Piggy Poker
« on: October 01, 2012, 11:27:24 am »
Hey guys, how's everybody been?  I haven't been around much lately, but I haven't been doing much in the way of the caveman lately either.  Life's been busy. 

I finally got the forge fired back up lately for a couple of commission pieces.  This is the first one I got done.

Just finished this one up for Colin to take pig hunting.  The blade is 5160 steel and comes in at 7" long.  The clip is shaving sharp for a couple of inches to aid in penetration should the need arise.  Handle is walnut and the guard is hammer textured copper.  Sheath is veggie tanned leather with a hand rubbed bee's wax finish.

I hope to see some pics of this one with blood on it in the near future.

Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
Re: Piggy Poker
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 12:28:03 pm »
That turned out nice. Don't feel to bad  about working alot I'm the same way I still haven rebuilt my forge after it burned out where my clinker breaker was :(. Good to see more of your work :)
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 11:57:27 pm »
My brother is gone-over-the-hill crazy about sticking pigs with knives and forges special sticker blades.  They are much like yours with a little more roach to the belly on the forward end of the cutting edge and a little slimmer close to the pommel.  That way they cut a nice wide channel going in, but when the knife is up to the hilt on the hide, it's narrower and easier to rotate 90 degrees to cut a second channel as it is drawn out. 

I would rather you not stand too close to me when you are carrying that thing.  It don't look safe!  Yikes!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 05:53:04 am »
Another fine knife,got to love that . :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Postman

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 11:21:26 pm »
Looks like it would throw nice at close range, too. A real fine weapon!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:15:52 am »
Thank you all.  J-dub, can you get a pic of one of those knives sometime?  That sounds like a very good design for sticking the squealers.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 05:46:32 pm »
No problem, Mr. Creason. 

Still making those cane yelpers?  They seem to be snake charmers to these Black Hills turkeys!  I had a gobbler fired up and gobbling his fool head off at me the other day. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 10:32:31 pm »
Beautiful work!