Author Topic: Lengthwise Crack Through the Limb  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Bill Skinner

Lengthwise Crack Through the Limb
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:15:16 pm »
I am making an Osage bow, during tillering I got a lengthwise crack through the top limb, about six inches long, just above the fades.  This was in an area that I had to use heat to straighten and untwist.  Is the bow dead?  Can I fill the crack with superglue and keep going?  Should I saw the other limb off and make an atlatl?  Wrap and glue after tillering?  The bow is 60" and I am going for 30# at 25".  This was going to be a 10 year old girls' second bow, she's drawing 20" right now, she is also starting to grow like a weed, she's out grown the last bow I made for her.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Lengthwise Crack Through the Limb
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:21:27 pm »
Bill as long as it runs with the limb and not off of the limb you should be OK. Does the check go all the way through the limb?  I would fill it with super glue and if big enough use fine saw dust as a filler and super glue. Do this in layers so all of the saw dust gets saturated...and beware of the fumes. It may start smoking as the super glue/saw dust cures. 
 Can you post pics?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:59:35 pm »
No way to post pictures, it would make things waaay to easy. ;D  The check goes all the way through, it is very fine, not really an open crack.  This was going to be a bow for me, when I noticed the crack, I set it aside.  Then, I thought I might make a very light weight bow from it, it had cracked on the tillering tree, lots of work in the stave, I didn't want to just toss it if it could be salvaged.  Pulled it out today and have been scraping away.  Thought I might better check with somebody that knows what they are doing before I get too many more hours into the bow.  Plus, she showed me that her bow was too light and she needed a new one yesterday, so I thought I might get started.   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:40:27 pm »
Bill, I would fill the check and go for it. If you are still concerned after you finish tillering add a wrap at each end of the check. Sinew would be best because it shrinks as it dries. You could add two more on the other limb for decoration. At the weight you are shooting for and the length of the bow and the draw length you should be OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:14:39 pm »
I agree with Pat.  Superglue it and keep going on it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 07:31:39 am »
  Thats area that was diffently over heated. Supper glue and some saw dust and tiller on. What you have to lose. I think wraps look stupit. IF IT DOS'NT MAKE IT LEARN FROM THE HEATING MISTAKE.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 08:29:11 am »
If wood checks during/after heating then it wasn't dry enough.
Try and run some thin superglue in whilst flexing the limb. If any gets sucked in you will notice little bubbles.
No need for wraps really.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 12:02:54 am »
I have had those cracks turn up, too.  Nowadays it doesn't even cause the tiniest heart flutter.  I just reach for some of my extra thin superglue and give her a dab or two.  It's always surprising to watch this thin glue come wicking up out of another part of the limb on some of the more imaginative cracks!  The thinnest cyanoacrylic glues have incredible wicking properties and will draw deep down into every crevice.  So be sure to put plenty on the spot so that it doesn't starve out. 

Good Luck.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 08:03:23 am »
Like the others have said,I don't like them but usually no problem as far as the bow holding up as long as they don't run off the side.Super glue and move on. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 12:16:53 pm »
If the crack is top to bottom, put a piece of tape on the limb where the crack exits the(narrowest crack) to act as a dam to hold the super glue in. Heat your limb at the crack a little with a heat gun to keep the super glue thin, sometimes I heat the tube of super glue as well. Fill the crack until it is overflowing and forget it was ever there. Done it a bunch of times with no failures down the road.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 02:48:46 am »
I would have no concerns with that I've done it when you can see daylight to the limb ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...