Author Topic: First stave bow  (Read 3453 times)

Offline DennisM

First stave bow
« on: October 04, 2012, 03:17:00 pm »
This is my first stave bow.  It's from my hickory find of 2 months ago. It's no where near perfect, tiller is off, I rushed the finish but this bow will hunt, if I ever get my shafts and points  figured out.
Any way here she is, 66" NTN, 1 7/16 at the fades continues for 6" the straight taper to 3/8" tips. I heat treated it at first brace and again before I applied the finish. She finished 49# @ 29" with 2 1/4" of permanent set.
The tip overlays and riser are cherry with no stain.  I stained the hickory with minwax red sedona  stained darkened with black leather dye. The finish is 8 coats of minwax satin spray urethane.
 All considered I am happy with it.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: First stave bow
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 03:23:15 pm »
hey! if it gets the job done then i think you got what you wanted! great looking bow!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:07:57 pm »
Yeah, the tiller is not perfect, but it's plenty good enough that I wouldn't stand around long if you pointed it at me!!!  For that matter, any deer with any sense better not underestimate what this bow will do!  Atta boy!  Make yourself a red-stained arrow with it!

Yup, she's plenty good enough that you got nothing to feel ashamed of.  Post pics of the deer you get. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:24:04 am »
Nice bow there! I like the stain, it's rugged and primitive.

If you like how it shoots, who gives a crap about the look! Let it break with thousands of arrows through it!  8)
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 12:37:45 am »
When i look at it, its tiller is just fine, i would consider that worth my time!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:41:08 am »
you did one heck of a job on your first stave...i dont think its that bad at all....and like JW said it will do the job on a deer and it didnt break in the tillering...SO,its a winnner...thanks for sharing your creation..john

Offline DennisM

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 11:47:56 am »
Thanks guys, means a lot. First traditional hunt next weekend, headed for Green Swamp.  It shoots hard, and for the first dozen arrows in the mornings I'm deadly out to 15 yds  after that I start shooting left

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 11:52:14 am »
Congratulations on your first stave bow!  Hickory is amazing wood and I bet it lasts you a long, long time.  Looks like a good one to me.  :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 11:56:02 am »
I think its a good one. The first bow I made was a hickory pyramid. It took quite a bit of set too but it shot well. I put several thousand arrows through it before I retired it. it would definitley have made meat had I hunted with it. Good job.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 12:29:50 pm »
hey Dennis what is your last name
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 02:21:33 pm »
Thanks guys, means a lot. First traditional hunt next weekend, headed for Green Swamp.  It shoots hard, and for the first dozen arrows in the mornings I'm deadly out to 15 yds  after that I start shooting left

Here's hoping you get a red arrow in the Green Swamp!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 06:27:05 pm »
Looks to be a shooter to me. Hard to judge tiller from picture angle but from what I see tiller looks fine and if not probably more than good enough. I have more than a few of my first stave bows with worst tiller that killed a few deer and one even took an elk. I think
your bow is nice in comparison to my first.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 07:53:14 pm »
Congratulations! I hope you get one. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!