Author Topic: white oak shorty molle - finished!  (Read 3832 times)

blackhawk

Re: white oak shorty molle
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 10:25:59 am »
As long as your happy with it then it doesn't matter what anyone else says(including me)  ;)

But,if it were me I couldn't let that tiller go on a molly. Because I wood be concerned that its going to break down and start to fret or eventually break. Report back when ya put a thousand+ arras thru her  ;)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: white oak shorty molle
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 10:36:32 am »
It was about half tillered in that photo...  I will post some more when I get off these doggone 12 hr shifts of how it looks now.  I think if y'all get your hands on a good white oak stave and give it that deeeeeep heat treating that Badly Bent mentioned, you will be amazed at what is possible.  I have a 48" stave that I am going to work on next, that is drying in the shop.  I really want to see just what the limits of white oak really are. More to come....
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

Re: white oak shorty molle - finished!
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 06:04:36 pm »
Today is my birthday and my wife said "what would you like to do to day?"  I said, "I would like to work on bows with as little interuption as possible".  So, here are few pics of the little white oak molle all finished up.  She came in half skinned with water snake.  It was a really pretty skin, but danged if i could find another one to go with it!  Leather handle added and some dark walnut stain.  It came in dead on 40lbs @ 27".  51 and 1/2" NTN.  Shows less than a half an inch of string follow after a couple hundred shots. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Adam

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 06:07:37 pm »
Looking good!  Happy birthday!

Offline half eye

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 06:09:37 pm »
Man that's fine howard.....real nice
rich

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 06:42:00 pm »
Thanks Adam.  Thank you Rich.  It came in a little lighter than I really wanted.  If I would learn to slow down and not tiller like a maniac gorilla, i am sure i could have gotten  more poundage out of it, but it shoots good and seems to have great cast for a 40lber.   This style of bow really flings an arrow and is light as a feather. Thanks for looking.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 07:03:07 pm »
Alright, Howard, I guess you and Rich are just tryin to see who can make em the shortest. That one turned out good....and Happy Birthday!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline dwardo

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 07:14:58 pm »
Today is my birthday and my wife said "what would you like to do to day?"  I said, "I would like to work on bows with as little interuption as possible".  So, here are few pics of the little white oak molle all finished up.  She came in half skinned with water snake.  It was a really pretty skin, but danged if i could find another one to go with it!  Leather handle added and some dark walnut stain.  It came in dead on 40lbs @ 27".  51 and 1/2" NTN.  Shows less than a half an inch of string follow after a couple hundred shots.

Would have been my exact response and cool bow.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 07:18:22 pm »
Thanks Dwardo! 

Thanks Kenny!  I am going to yield to the short bow master - halfeye has that title.  I have been curious about the possibilities with white oak though.  This one really opened my eyes to how rugged this bow wood truly is.  Blackhawk was right as rain about how this one was bent too much with hinges showing.  I really abused it during tillering and this little white oak stave just keeps bouncing back straight again, no matter how far you bend it!  That is a 29" arrow in the full draw pics.  That first picture makes me think that I may have drawn that bow close to 28" which is surprising,  given the length of the bow and my tillering skills!   White oak is good stuff.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi