Author Topic: raw shafts  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Matt A

raw shafts
« on: September 24, 2012, 12:55:14 am »
i see lots of videos where it looks like the arrow shaft isn't finished with any type of sealant.
if this is so how does something like dogwood hold up to being "unfinished" when in use?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: raw shafts
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 01:26:06 am »
Like bow wood arrow wood will take on moisture from the air if not sealed. Also like bow wood arrow wood gets soft when it gets wet and the spine will change. I always seal my arrows either with Tru-Oil, a poly dip or pitch varnish for primitive arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Matt A

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:34:18 am »
i've tried making pine pitch varnish this summer with 80 proof vodka think i need some stronger stuff lol. for a different spin on a sealant would even something simple as bear grease or beeswax work?

Offline anasazi

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:40:02 pm »
I would think that bees wax would work just rub it in good it may be even better  if you can bake it in and get it to soak into the outer fibers.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:45 am »
Bear grease should work fine also. I have a yew bow that is sealed only with hand rubbed bear grease. It repels water nicely.
  With grease or wax you will probably have to tie on your fletching because glue won't stick.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Matt A

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 02:51:07 am »
sounds like a plan think i could rub some wax on then burnish it in with like a bottle?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 10:43:44 am »
  BARNESHING will help some up not totally water proff.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING