Author Topic: Limb twist: Bow shows me its belly on the tiller  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Jodocus

Limb twist: Bow shows me its belly on the tiller
« on: September 24, 2012, 05:19:35 am »
Hey all. I need some advice.

I've got a bow that is making me trouble. When I put it on the tiller and draw it, it turns its handle area so that it shows me it's belly.

Now I guess this is the equivalent of both limbs twisting away from me, but I'm not 100% sure. I can not see a single cause clearly, I guess it is a combination of not perfectly centered stringline and drop-shaped cross section of the limbs, without one of the two being blatant, however.

Proceedings that come to my mind are:

- moving the tips towards me (I have only about a 1/10" to go here)

- moving the handle away from me (I got about 1/4 of room)

- weakening the limbs on the side closer to me:
   -by scraping the belly
   -by taking from the side of the limb (???)

- steam bend the handle towards me

What do you suggest I do? 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:40:13 am by Jodocus »
Don't shoot!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Limb twist: Bow shows me its belly on the tiller
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:28:48 am »
I corrected this once on a hickory bow that the centerline was drawn in a sort of bowed line not exactly straight.It was on a more highly reflexed bow.I steamed the handle and fades and put a sideways bend to it towards the way it was tourqing from.Like the illustration in the bending wood chapter of the Bowyers Bible.Without pictures it is hard to be sure of your situation.Are both sides of the limbs an even thickness?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:54:10 am »
Try all of the above!
Often several different small adjustments will do the trick, but sometimes you have to go with the flow a bit and let the wood go where it wants.
This is a prime reason for leaving tips wide early in the process.
Is the bow back to brace height yet?
I normally say let the bow just rest on the tiller, but maybe in this case try clampnig it and that may help you see if it's limb or handle related.
Make small changes and don't necessarilly try to correct it all at once, do a bit, work it some more and it may settle down as it draws further.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 09:34:09 am »
Check the thickness of the limbs from side to side. If the bow only shows twist under tension(braced or drawn) it is usually because the limb thickness is uneven. Adjusting the thickness should correct the twist.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:39:06 am »
Make sure you flip it around and look at it from both sides.  If the handle is above your line of sight on the tree, then you will see the belly no matter what when it's bent.  If you find that it doesn't show you the belly when you flip it around, then you need to follow the good recommendations above :)