Author Topic: tru-oil  (Read 2496 times)

Offline grinner

tru-oil
« on: September 21, 2012, 11:21:33 pm »
Hi, i am just about to finish my first bow. I was wondering if one of the small bottles of tru-oil is enough to do one bow. Also what is the best way to apply it and how long do you need to wait for it to dry to shoot it again? Thanks for the help

Offline Hunter Van Winkle

Re: tru-oil
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 11:27:01 pm »
the small bottle was enough for me to do 4+ bows.

i think it is best to absolutely remove ALL tool marks completely (usually more work than you think at first), and apply thin coats with your finger tip, rubbing it into the wood (don't put too much on or it will create runs).

If your house is relatively warm and dry, you can probably put the next coat on in 4-6 hours. People tend to put 8-10 coats on, lightly brushing with 000 steel wool between coats (wear a mask, don't breath the particles in).

After final coat is on, let it set for a good day or so before shooting. Some let it set for a week.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 11:34:32 pm »
I usually do like HVW said but allow the first coat to dry overnight. After that a thin coat will dry in a few hours with proper temp and humidity.  I usually do 6 or so coats on a bow. Also I pour a small amount in a seperate container(jar lid, etc) to work with, just enough to do one coat and seal the original. This will help the Tru-Oil last longer.
  Tru-Oil will give you a high gloss finish. For my hunting bows I add a quick spray of satin poly to dull the shine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline grinner

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 11:38:17 pm »
OK thanks for the advise also can snake skins be added over truoil if i decide to put skins on later? Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 11:41:21 pm »
If you want to add skins later just scrape the Tru-Oil off add the skins and Tru-Oil over them.  ;)  Tru-oil is easy to repair and refinish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 05:13:28 am »
As the chaps above said.
The only thing with tru-oil is that it isn't very waterproof. I've had sinew soften when i've been out in the rain all day with it, even with 10+ coats. I use a 2 part varnish called rustins plastic coat now and have never had the same problem. Just a thought.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 05:15:47 am »
Also after you put the cap back on store the bottle upside down It helps keep the air out and prevent it from setting up in the bottle ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 09:23:18 am »
I pour the tru-oil in a gatorade bottle cap and use the small cosmetic sponges to apply it.  I like to apply one coat a day.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left