Author Topic: Osage Staves in Ontario?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline WoodBenderDW

Osage Staves in Ontario?
« on: September 18, 2012, 11:21:37 pm »
I've been in search of an osage stave for quite some time now.  I have not had much luck except a couple of friends tell me they might be able to get me some and then say oh they can't.  I was hoping that someone in Ontario might have a stave or be able to help me find one.  I'm hoping to make a Cherokee or Eastern Woodland style D-bow that is around 72" long (my arms are long).  I'm also somewhat new at this and I'm not sure if I'm ready for something a large amount of "character" yet.  I know it sounds like I'm getting fussy.  The next sad part is because I'm new at this, I don't really have anything valuable to trade yet.  In a couple of months I'll probably have an abundance of hickory staves but as of right now I don't really have anything.  If someone is able to help me though in some way even if someone can suggest where I might find Osage in Ontario, pm me.  Thanks to everyone.

Offline WoodBenderDW

Re: Osage Staves in Ontario?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:30:20 pm »
I do have a rabbit skin that someone might be able to use for a handle or fur silencers or something, but it sounds to me like an insult to offer something that small for an osage stave.

Offline paulsemp

Re: Osage Staves in Ontario?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:19:24 am »
For a 72" d-bow you could use almost any wood. Practice on any of the white woods and save that osage for something special in the future.