Author Topic: Is baking soda safe for squirrel fur?  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Is baking soda safe for squirrel fur?
« on: May 31, 2012, 02:22:09 pm »
So I tanned some squirrel hides the old fashioned way with salt and smoke, and now they have a very smokey odor. I know baking soda can remove odors but is it safe to put on the fur?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is baking soda safe for squirrel fur?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:56:41 pm »
Salt and smoke won't tan hides and I doubt baking soda will eliminate the smokey smell.
  Brain tanned leather is smoked to seal the seperated fibers and keep them plyable. The hide has to be brain tanned first though.
  Salt is only a cure and should be totally removed or it will absorb moisture and rot the skin.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:42:17 pm »
Are you sure about that? I watched some videos about this type of fur preservation, and the guy claimed he had furs that were ten years old and still in good shape. I guess time will tell one way or the other.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:14:12 pm »
Pat's right.  You have smokey rawhide. 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:06:54 am »
Well that's not a big deal. Plenty more squirrels out back. I'll make sure to do it the right way next time.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:44:17 am »
Yep,smoked rawhide. You can still tan them,just wash the salt out,also to get some of the smoke smell out after tanned and smoked you can rinse the tanned hide in water and a little[just a little] drop of dish washing liquid then stretch again until dry.  :) I use brains to tan but I am sure their are other options,egg white for sure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 04:27:51 pm »
Okay, I may do just that.

Also just to be clear, do I need to dry and salt the hide before I brain tan it, or do I apply the brains right away?

Offline anasazi

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 03:26:32 pm »
You can do the brains right away just make sure you clean it well first salting and drying are just a way to preserve a hide till you can get to it later

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 08:19:29 pm »
I mix egg yokes, ivory soap and a little murphys oil soap just for good measure.  for hair on, I add a little flour to make a paste and smear it on the flesh side.  for one squirrel, maybe two or three eggs and half a bar of melted soap.  anyway, smear the mess on the flesh side of the hide and rub it in real good.  throw it in a large ziplock and hide it in the fridge over night.  Work it over a cable the next day, being careful not to stretch the hide too much or the hair will turn loose.