Author Topic: How hard is it too splice osage billets?  (Read 4620 times)

Offline FlintWalker

How hard is it too splice osage billets?
« on: September 22, 2007, 12:52:16 am »
I had a tree given to me the other day. It was about 20" in diameter and very long but it zig zagged back and forth with no good straight sections long enough for full sized staves. It has several sections three or four feet long and the prettiest growth rings i've ever seen. They are all around 1/8" to 3/16" with almost no visible spring growth. The late growth is also darker than most i've seen. Pretty stuff, but is it worth getting? All I could get out of it would be billets, but i'm a little intimidated by it. What ya'll think?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Badger

Re: How hard is it too splice osage billets?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 03:20:57 am »
Saw, I do a lot of splicing and with a bandsaw is relatively easy. I use a z splice in a 1" wide section of the handle 4" long. You cut them both the same. So you can use the same template, sometimes I have to cut the tips off just a tad after cutting so they can be pushed flush into the splice. Instead of points on the end you want them to be the width of your bandsaw blade, just knocking the tip off the points with a sander or bandsaw will accomplish this. Steve

MattE

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 08:43:51 am »
The "Z" splice is my favorite splice. If you can square your stock and use a band saw to make the cuts it is relatively easy task. A jig to clamp to the table and the pieces stacked one on top of the other takes the guess work out. I can't post pictures but I am sure someone will post a picture of the jig. It is used by many here.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 11:45:56 am »
Due to crappy wood I usually work with, I have spliced lots of billets using the Z-splice.  While boards are easy to splice, billets sometimes do not lie on top of each other very well. Study TBB I, p. 210.  This page also explains what to do if the cuts are sloppy and show gaps.  Just fill them up with wood splinters and lots of glue.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 12:39:39 pm »
Don't forget that if your cuts aren't perfect, you can steam both pieces, put them together and squeeze them together with a clamp.  This will bend the cuts and make them match almost perfect most times.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 09:01:55 pm »
One thing when making a z splice, run your center line cut straight from the tip so both limbs line up right. I also flatten the belly side of the stave before sawing, easier to maintain correct angle. Steve

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 09:10:51 pm »
You might want to consider getting Billets to Bow by Glen St.Charles a really good read,plus has great photos of the Z and fishtail splices,and all the how tos of it. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya