Author Topic: Reflex.  (Read 1768 times)

Offline sharpend60

Reflex.
« on: September 07, 2012, 09:20:54 pm »
Ive got a Rocky Mnt Juniper stave. Mostly sap wood.
It's got 9 inches of perfect reflex, in a 56 inch stave. It's looks much like elliptical tiller, just the wrong (or right!) way...

Its roughed out to flat bow like specs, parallel to mid limb then taper to 1/2" or so.
3" or so rigid handle, 2" or so fades.
I will be sinewing this bow, 2 layers I was thinking.

My question for you...

Should I add some deflex in the handle area?

9" is pretty brutal... I'm sure some would tiller out but I cant floor tiller the sucker!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:25:28 pm by sharpend60 »

blackhawk

Re: Reflex.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:05:04 pm »
I wood floor tiller it as best as I could,and then steam only 2-4" of the handle and make a deflex bend there till your tips are only 4-5" ahead of the handle. Then long string tiller it to about 20" and where it would be 5-10 pounds heavier than your intended weight(just calculate what the weight wood be at 28" at only pulling 20"). So if you want a 50@28 bow then long string tiller it to 35-40 pounds at 20". Then sinew back it. First course of sinew full width,second course 2/3 width,and a third course only a half inch wide down the crown. That's what I wood do if it were mine,so that's just me and my two cents.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:09:36 pm by blackhawk »

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 10:31:22 pm »
My worry would be coming in under weight. With the reflex and all. Id like it to clock in around 65 lbs @ 27, give or take.

I am inclined to Defllex the handle area before I can properlly floor tiller.
My usual tiller method is to spend load of time getting thickness correct then jump strait to low brace.

Thats the way my mentor showed me how to do it. Infact within ten minutes of going to his shop for the first time. I said "Wheres the tiller tree?" He just glared at me.

9" is un-usable for me... and everybody loves a D/R sinew backed juniper ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 10:02:43 am »
I wood advise at least floor tillering it somewhat first before making a heat correction cus it'll have a more even bend and want to bend more even,and even more importantly it will be thinner and easier to bend,and your bend will stay better with less bounce back after unclamping.

Good luck,I know I love me a R/D bow ;)