Author Topic: 3Rivers hickory backing  (Read 4849 times)

woody

3Rivers hickory backing
« on: September 21, 2007, 02:20:45 pm »
Hi All,

I wanted to know if any body has ordered any hickory backing from 3Rivers Archery and if so if it is any good.  I would make the backing myself, but I really don't know what to do...any suggestions?

Thanks,

woody

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 3Rivers hickory backing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 02:36:34 pm »
Woody, I bought a 5/4x6"x10' hickory board at a lumber yard for about $30 and cut my own. I cut from the 5/4 side(about 2") and cut the slats about 3/16" thick. After dressing up the surfaces they come out about 1/8" thick. I cut the 10' board at 6' for most of the strips but have the 4' section I will cut slats that will be joined at the handle. You can also get some belly slats along with the backing strips.
   3Rivers sell quality stuff. I have never bought hickory backing strips from them but I would imagine they would be fine.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 11:49:40 am »
If you have a bandsaw, you can certainly resaw a board into strips like PatB says. I have found 3-Rivers to be quality stuff but expensive!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

woody

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 03:06:07 pm »
If you have a bandsaw, you can certainly resaw a board into strips like PatB says. I have found 3-Rivers to be quality stuff but expensive!

I agree about the price.  It would end up being about $30 for one backing strip by the time shipping was included! 

I would try and make some myself if I had access to Hickory boards, but the big hardware stores (and everwhere else I've checked in my area) doesn't handle Hickory, and if they do, it is even more expensive than 3Rivers.

What about an alternative wood backing? - say, Oak... I know won't be as good as Hickory, but it seems to be the heaviest of the hardwoods I can access.

Thanks Guys!

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 03:33:55 pm »
WHy not use rawhide backing if wood is at a premium?

woody

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 03:58:19 pm »

Will rawhide do everything that wood will?  My biggeest concern is finishing and sealing the bow to the max...I didn't think that rawhide would hold up as well to moisture.  What is your experience?

Thanks!

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 04:38:18 pm »

Will rawhide do everything that wood will?  My biggeest concern is finishing and sealing the bow to the max...I didn't think that rawhide would hold up as well to moisture.  What is your experience?

Thanks!

A WHOLE :o lot of bowyers here have experience with rawhide ;)...I'm sure they can advise you better than I as I haven't used it YET!

Tilbilly

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 06:54:15 pm »
My Pa and I each ordered a hick. backing from them 3 years ago. Both strips had a small spot where there was a runoff. Dad went ahead and made me a r/d longbow, yellowheart board backed with the hick. Shot the bow for a coupla months but the bad spot on the hick lifted. Repaired it with lots of artificial sinew and superglue. Shot it a coupla more months before the dreaded "tick" sound.
The next shot she blew. The yellerheart was still fine. The big crack in the backing led right to the bad spot.
Not complaining 'bout 3R. They're great. Even at their price, it still makes for an economical bow compared to buying one already made. I think the problem is that they don't cut their own backing, and simply sell it. So they aren't checking for flaws.
So go ahead and order it, make sure you check for flaws before using it. Find any, send it back. And I don't think rawhide allows for Perry Reflexing like Hick. or 'Boo backing will. Rawhide holds thing together, otherwise it's just along for the ride and not for increasing performance. Not that it isn't good or have it's place.

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 07:36:21 pm »
murray gaskins sells hickory backing for $12
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo