Author Topic: Window tillering  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Holten101

Window tillering
« on: September 03, 2012, 04:05:38 pm »
I find my self using my wall mounted pulley tiller stick less and less and simply check tiller in my reflection in a window. The reflection is "blurry" enough to just give me the general bend and not the "noisy details", and it lets me flip the bow easily....while the previous bend is still fresh in my mind.

I find it a fast and intuitive way to tiller.....am I alone in this?

Cheers

Offline sharpend60

Re: Window tillering
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 04:09:45 pm »
Nope.
I do that too.

And some times I use the sun.
When it's directly at my back.

Not concrete but since I most often work out side while roaming around, it can be usfeull

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 04:28:52 pm »
I have started using a large mirror lain out on it's side in front of me. I step on the string and pull the bow up with my hands while watching the mirror across from me. I find this superior in some ways to a tiller tree. I find this way so easy to tiller with, and it is so easy to feel the bow limbs work and feel how the limbs are actually moving (as well as which limb is stronger, etc)  that I can usually get the bow completely tillered and limbs balanced before first brace even, without whip tillering the bow like is common when tillering too much on the long string. Basically this method works so well for me I can tiller a bow fully without even stringing the thing anymore. Which of course is not really a good idea, I know.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:34:46 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 11:44:57 pm »
I do most of my tiller touch ups after reaching about 20" draw on the tree by standing in front of a full length mirror in my shop and drawing the bow. From there I watch it being pulled by hand and adjust tiller/remove wood out to full draw. For me this has worked much better than when I used the tillering tree.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:41:35 am »
I have a large window out the back that when open slightly gives a perfect reflective angle. :)