Author Topic: osage gift!  (Read 1024 times)

Offline sadiejane

osage gift!
« on: August 31, 2012, 04:59:59 pm »
well, a few months ago, at a broadhead collectors club mtg, i meet some great guys.
one of which told me he had a few osage staves in his shed a friend and he had cut and split some yrs ago.
unfortunately his friend has since passed away and george doesnt make bows. he was just storing for his friend.
he gave me his number and told me if i was interested i could have em.
well, i have called a few times and no answer and no means of leaving a message.
well, i called again yesterday and sure enough, george answered the phone.
went out this morning and spent about 4 hrs, talking about bows, checking out his collection(quite an extensive one),
taking a fourwheeler ride around his property and checking out lots of standing osage.
saw a good many trees that really looked promising. ive scoured the woods many times looking for worthy osage, and my experience has been its hard to find straight trees.
to be honest i was amazed at the number of what appear to mighty fine osage for bowmaking. and george is fine with us coming out and cutting all we want.
we also picked up one old osage fencepost on the ride.
so i came home with 6 staves, an old fencepost, a nice old drawknife and had a great time!!
sweet, kind and gracious folks he and his wife are. its an honor to meet such good folk
and of course im excited as can be about having some well seasoned osage. he said it had been at least 10 yrs since they cut that wood and maybe as long as 15.
anxious to dig in and see whats lurking there. will post some pix as i get em peeled(no bark but all the sapwood is still there)
the ends are painted and the splits rough enuf its hard to tell about the rings yet. a few are rather twisted and gnarly looking but i reckon there are bows in all of em
thanks george!!!!

as pappy says-life is good!!

wild women don't get the blues

Offline sonny

Re: osage gift!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 08:10:41 pm »
good for you Sadie!
that'll make your day huh??
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:19:46 pm »
and i made a friend
the very best of gifts!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:36:36 pm by sadiejane »
wild women don't get the blues

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 08:57:03 pm »
Sounds like a great find in more than one way.  Good luck with the staves.  Post some pictures of them. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:29 pm »
Great find on both ends there Sadie, As my old friend Rick aways said, (I love it when a plan comes together). I'm sure U will turn out some nice bows. Look forward to seeing what U come up with.
Take care,  Spyder

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 06:16:28 pm »
Wooohoooo !!!!

Good deal in so many ways !
You go girl!!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:29:22 am »
Congrats on that,sounds like a great find in wood and folks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good