Author Topic: re-sharpen stone points??  (Read 1851 times)

Offline lowell

re-sharpen stone points??
« on: September 02, 2012, 05:56:09 pm »
 I have knapped  very little and was not satisfied with points I made for hunting. I have traded here and received some very nice points I have shot some into a broadhead target to be sure they fly good and for practice.  Now I would like to use them for hunting.....

I have seached you-tube for instruction for re-sharpening some points I have shot...but did not find any.  Can a novice (me) resharpen a point or would I just wreck it??

Photo is of my hand testing points ....some cut/ some don't.....is that a far test??? ;)

I got my first stone kill last fall.....and now I want another!!

Thanks and good hunting to all, Lowell
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
Re: re-sharpen stone points??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 09:56:55 pm »
look up indirect percussion flint knapping that is how I resharpen them, just be sure to only remove a very slight amount of stone, just enough to true and sharpen the head or you will change the point of impact and the flight characteristics. JMO.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:20:19 pm »
If it were me, I would lightly abrade (fine) the edge and then use a flattened 16 penny nail to pressure flake the edge (micro flakes)back to sharp. I wish I could just show you instead of typing it. Might make more sense to see it done. Just my way and I'm sure other folks have different suggestions.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:42:46 pm »
+1 on Tracy's approach.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 11:47:01 pm »
Great question, and i would love to see the 16 penny tool, and results...im expanding my tool selection, and have some to sharpen :D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:12:09 am »
Regardless of which tool you use. Lightly abrade, then take VERY small flakes. I personally like to use my horseshoe nail notcher for such things. Now resharpening a blade on the other hand one might use indirect percussion or percussion. With the result being more like  a beveled edge. Good luck with it Lowell.  ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:00:49 pm »
Keep in mind the huge number of artifacts found that are single beveled. Just saying (although this might seem intuitive) it is not necessary to remove flakes from both sides of an edge.

I'm with Will, I would use my horse shoe nail flaker.

Scott

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 03:33:41 pm »
Thanks all...I looked up indirect percussion flint knapping and also flattened the end of a nail.  I tried the nail and got some small flakes off but it also made it seem kind of serrated.  I also tried a copper ended...I think its an ishi stick???  and it seem to nock off small flakes too and did not leave it serrated.  I think I will be able to sharpen some if I keep trying!!

Took one I sharpened and went squirrel hunting this morning,,,had a shot and took it but missed and broke a point.  I guess if I'm not breaking I'm not hunting!!!

My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!