Author Topic: fake copperhead skin  (Read 3789 times)

Offline crooketarrow

fake copperhead skin
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:13:46 am »
   I have a question I'm putting on fake copper head skins from 3 rivers for someone. It's my first time with fake skins.
  It's really lightly colored. Looks really unreal. Way to light fake looking for me.
 Out side of maybe light stain dose any one know how to darken them up a little.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Josh B

Re: fake copperhead skin
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:24:28 am »
Ive been wondering about those as well.  Have you already glued them on? Or do they just look light before you applied them?  Just curious how they would look compared to the real thing I guess.  Josh

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 01:53:32 pm »
Mine looked darker after I glued them on and coated them with a coat of TBIII.  They had the texture of the cloth but I put a couple of coats of poly then sanded and repeated that several times until they were nice and glassy smooth.
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline boughnut

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 02:15:06 pm »
I would tend to think once glued and clear coated they will darken up,  you could wet one and see if it darkens up to give you an idea of how much darker they will get before you take the time to glue up.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:24:31 pm »
if you have any that need's trimmed, glue it on some wood and see how it look's after, if you want it darker than what you get on the test dye the back of the bow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 04:52:57 pm »
Try staining the back lightly first Roy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RDK

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 06:36:11 pm »
I had the same experience as Autologus-but used several coats of tru-oil-my problem was that the edges after I trimmed them had threads unravel a bit (after gluing with or without the final finish).  Even when I sanded-I just did not like the look.  I've had a difficult time getting a really nice edge like when I use skins, silk  or linen.  So if ya'll can get a nice looking edge when you trim the snake skin pattern cloth--I'd appreciate your posting how you did it.

Thanks......
"Everyday north of the grass is a good day!"

"Be wise; we need Mother Earth, Mother Earth does not need us."

Ron,   Bangor, Michigan

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:13:15 pm »
fake snake skin?  I cna't beleive a truist or two hasn't already been in here whining about the very idea of using the stuff.

Where do you get the stuff?  I've looked at a couple craft stores here and can't find any.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline autologus

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:52:21 pm »
I glued mine on and then coated it with a good coat of TBIII, when it was starting to dry I trimmed it with an exacto knife to get it close.  After it dried hard I used 60grit paper on a block and sanded it at about a 45 degree angle across the edges and got it fairly smooth, its not perfect and you can still feel a rough spot in one place but its not bad.
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 10:10:24 pm »
I've used them, they do darken up a little with the glue. If ya want way darker, maybe try using the titebond glue thats made for dark woods, dries brown instead of that yellow/tan color.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 12:04:46 pm »
  No I have'nt glued it on yet.
 Staining the back is what I thought also. THANKS PEARL
 Tattoo I did'nt know you could get tiebond that dryed dark. I tty cutting a peice and glue it on a peice of OSAGE since thats what it's going on. 
  MAKENZIE guy did'nt have any copperhead shins and the fakes are cheap and long. THATS THE BEST PART one skin covers the whole bow.
  These would really have to darken up to even be close to looking real.
         THANKS FOR YOU'LL HELP I'LL DO SOME TESTS.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 01:31:50 pm »
I just ordered these from 3R. Wondering if you need to be careful not to stretch them...I suppose they may look distorted if you do right?
I'm thinking either stain first or a coat of orange/amber shellac over top would darken them before final finish. Shellac sticks to everything and everthing sticks to shellac, so I hear....

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 03:27:51 pm »
TBII dries a somewhat transulant brown. As far as the edges fraying I would try a little bit of a sawing motion instead of a pull/cut method. Just a thought.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 11:09:29 pm »
When I have done fabric backings and had trouble with the edges fraying out, I just rubbed wood glue into the frayed edges, let it dry, and sanded it down.  End of problem. 

We've had a number of these fnake skin backed bows show up here in the last month or so.  So far, I think they have all looked pretty darn good.  I noticed they are were all copperheads, too.  Wonder if the other pattern is going to be commercially successful. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.