Author Topic: Need to straighten a limb. How do I do it?  (Read 4292 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Need to straighten a limb. How do I do it?
« on: September 21, 2007, 03:27:06 am »
Well, I just got a really nice peice of Guava wood from Manny but there is only one problem. One of the limbs is dog leged and needs to be steemed into a better shape. Only other problem is that I have never done this. How do I go about it? HELP!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Need to straighten a limb. How do I do it?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 05:58:15 am »
I used heat on the Guava I did for the PA bow I tillered.It work fine.I have a steam tub I use when steaming but some just do it over a pot a section at a time. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 08:33:23 am »

Try and clamp the bow solid using c-clamps with wood shims to protect the wood. Leave yourself a way to move the desired section of limb in the direction it needs to go by using dry heat and a clamp(s). A form of some type is the best way to do this as it gives you something to clamp to and pull the limb down to. Just be careful not to over-tighten the clamps as they can dent the wood even using shims. Might go slightly pass where you want the limb to remain, as it will usually lose a little of the adjustment. Apply the dry heat only to the belly side of the limb, so the back should be against the form.  We also usually apply a light coat of cooking oil to the belly area to be heated. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 03:58:26 pm »
Here is the other question! How thick should the wood be and how long should I steam it for? Also, how do I make a steam box or use the boiling pot of water? I am really new to all this so I have absolutly no idea.

Thanks

David T.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 04:41:27 pm »
David, When I steamed staves all I had was a large pot of water and aluminum foil to cover it and the section of bow to be bent. Be sure you protect the under side of the stave that hangs outside of the pot. A little foil wrapped around it will work.  I now use a heat gun and a bit of cooking oil.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 09:30:56 pm »
Thanks Pat! I think I will look for a heat gun! Also, how thick can the wood be and how should I prepare it before starting? There is a pretty good dog leg in the wood so I will need to bend the wood a bit latterally and its also recurved in the same area. Dont know if I want to do away with that or not or maybe even them up with slight recurve at both ends?

Help!

David

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 11:55:57 pm »
David, the thinner it is the quicker and easier it will bend. 3/4" or less I would guess. I like to take a stave to floor tiller stage before correcting major bends. I, just last night correct a bow I'm working on now. She is osage and right out of the handle, she went that-a-way. I took the handle area and fades down to almost finished dimensions to make the correction. Normally, the handle is the last thing I do on a bow.   A heat gun is a worthwhile investment and the best part about it is they are cheap. $20 will get you a good one.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 04:15:50 pm »
Thanks Pat! I will head out and buy a heat gun tonight!

David T