Author Topic: wanting to get into knapping???  (Read 1309 times)

Offline hunterbob

wanting to get into knapping???
« on: September 01, 2012, 11:42:23 pm »
   Ok were would one start if he wanted to get into flintknapping?
Should I buy a kit or something like 3 rivers sells to get started?Or a book or dvd or something?

Offline gstoneberg

Re: wanting to get into knapping???
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 12:00:35 am »
It's hard to learn on your own, but people do it.  I found a couple local knappers that came over and got me going.  2 hours with somebody who knows how is worth 2 months of smashing gravel on your own.  Maybe if you'd post your general area you'd find there are guys near you that could help?  Good luck.

George
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:07:47 am by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 12:05:07 am »
  I really want to learn and if there is anyone in ohio or the boarder of ohio or west virgina that would show me a thing or two I would give them an osage stave or two.
I live in new waterford Ohio it is located east central about as far east as you can get without going into PA

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:41:59 am »
Up in Brownsville is the Flint Ridge knap in this weekend and you would be able to see some great knapping and likely find someone to start you out. Watch videos on YouTube or DVD and then start breaking rock to get the feel of how it flakes and angles of percussion. Ohio has some real good chert. Good luck.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline warhawk

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:32:47 am »
I would buy a kit and warch you tube videos By Paleoman Jim or Allergic Hobbit who have produced beginners videos. The best thing to do after you have started is practice every chance you have.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.