Author Topic: Pure blackthorn  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Jodocus

Pure blackthorn
« on: August 23, 2012, 05:36:02 am »
Hi everyone,

I made this one from a blackthorn (prunus spinosa) sapling. I was very pleased with the wood. It was not nice to work cause it was very prone to tear splinters although it is not spiralled. With the rasp I was fine, though. Bit it is pretty and hard and dense. I got quite some more of it, if they don't all check. ;D

This one was cut in february and dried like no problem with the bark on. It had 2 inches of reflex originally, with deflexed limbs, like a naturally setback handle. The reflex was lsot to set, resulting in a kind of gullwing, straight side profile. Finished with one go of half oil (linseed and turpentine).

It is 62", 54# at 27".
Don't shoot!

Offline Jodocus

Re: Pure blackthorn
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:37:44 am »
Oh, the pics...  :laugh:
Don't shoot!

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 06:36:36 am »
Nice simple stick,got to love that. Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Holten101

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:56:20 am »
Nice one...I like the design alot:-)

Did you stain the wood?...im asking because I made a blackthorn bow a while back (http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27350.msg365638.html#msg365638), and it was a bit more white where yours is cream/light brown.

And behold what I found yesterday....its about 70" long and straight as a pipe:-)

Cheers

Oh yeah....you really did nail that tiller:-)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:02:53 am by Holten101 »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:13:46 am »
Nice. I love the look of those knotty woods, but they would scare the crap out of me!! :o
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:01:25 am »
Good one!  It's always fun to see a bow of different wood.
1’—>1’

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 11:45:28 am »
I'm with pappy, simple clean. Very nice work.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 11:48:30 am »
Nice job......but come on and yank that thing back to 27"  ;)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:40 pm »
Simple, pure and beautiful.... Very nice !!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline jimmy

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 12:50:17 pm »
I never seen a  shillelagh with a string.  Seriously though, cool and simple bow from a wood I've never seen used.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 03:27:46 pm »
Thanks to all of you for you kind remarks, they're much appreciated  :laugh:

Holten: that sloe looks right exactly like this one I made my bow from. I suggest you cut it  ;) When I was preparing to make this bow, yours was actually the only one a google search for "blackthorn bow" spit out. Cause I had seen yours, I was amazed to see the warm colour of the wood when I opened mine. My bow is not the same colour all over, I gets darker towards what was upside in the plant (the now lower limb, the one with less knots). I did not stain it, but half-oil tends to darken the wood a bit. I think the upper end looked almost like your bow before.

Lesken: There are so many knots, I decided to ignore them as long they where not really right on the edge. I made the knottier side upside so that became the longer limb, and went a little wider and flatter. Nothing else, really easy.

Blackhawk the hawk-eyed: I just draw 26", there isn't much I can do about it  ;D Seriously, I've been trying to get my draw lower and longer lately, but it doesn't feel natural yet. I guess I'll have to put a mark on the arrow.

Parnell, jimmy: I don't know why it is used so rarely, I hope there is no hidden downside to it. There's none naturally in the US, but also in europe it hardly seems to be used, even though it is widespread. But it felt trustworthy from the first touch. It's really hard and heavy, I see why a fighting stick would be made of it. Even now, there is nothing fragile to the bow, you could easily smack someone with it  >:D I'll keep it in heavy duty and report all new insights on it  :laugh:
Don't shoot!

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 03:43:52 pm »
Dang SUPER nice tiller and very nice work!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 10:10:12 pm »
Nice bow Jodocus I like the primitive look of it and that wood grain and color is very nice. Good job all around.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 11:10:53 pm »
Simply marvelous!  Well done!  Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 02:57:39 am »
 8)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...