Author Topic: Night Vision Hog Hunt  (Read 7402 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Night Vision Hog Hunt
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 01:10:36 am »
Heck, I'd love to chip in on the suppressor fund just for a chance to put a multiple kill on the scoreboard!

Donations are cheerfully accepted. :D

What's funny is that if I end up with a suppressor on it, the gun itself will represent just 14% of the cost of the rig. ;D

We had pork roast for supper tonight and will make what's left into pulled pork for sandwiches for tomorrow.  I meant to get hams in the brine tonight but I got sidetracked breaking perfectly good flint rocks into gravel. ;)

Night vision hog hunting is absolutely addictive.  I'm hoping this current place is gonna keep me hunting until the deer hunters that have leased it start setting up for deer season.  The hogs have pinned them down in the stand more than once so they may be willing to let me keep at it until rifle season.

A bonus is that this place is crawling with snakes...timber rattlers, copperheads, moccasins.  Unfortunately the timber rattlers are protected here for some reason.  Anyway, other than them I hope to get some bow backings before I'm done for the year.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 06:43:50 am »
George, sounds like you got a good gig going for sure

Manny Envious  ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 09:06:55 am »
Wow, I'm the one who envies your hunting spot Manny.  Don't forget, it was 103 degrees here before I headed over to that spot.  It had cooled down into the high 80s by the time we shot...almost chilly. ;)  If you ever get to Texas I will for sure get you some time looking through that scope in the dark if you want.

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 02:16:44 pm »
Ohh, now that looks lile fun!  :o

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 03:10:00 pm »
Awesome. 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 10:36:44 pm »
Ohh, now that looks lile fun!  :o

I'm telling you. Make it down here and George will put you (or try his hardest) on pigs.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 08:38:24 pm »
One last post, here's the logical conclusion of the hog hunt.  Today at noon:

and now after work.

Looks like the cure pinked those hams up nice.  They're just a couple degrees from 165 when I'll stop smoking them.  Good eats coming. ;D  I still have bacon seasoning in the fridge that won't go in the smoker until Saturday.  Can't wait for that too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 08:45:20 pm »
Bacon.   It's meat candy!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 08:56:43 pm »
Not yet JW...

but come Saturday afternoon sometime it'll be bacon.  If you get down here Friday afternoon we can go after the wiley porker all night and then eat newly smoked bacon after we get it smoked on Saturday.  Must only be about an 18 hour drive?

I also made 18lbs of sweet italian sausage this time.  Next pig we'll do about 30lbs of breakfast sausage.  If the bacon turns out well I'll be doing a bunch of it, it is for sure meat candy.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 02:37:49 pm »
Looks good - sharsies? Will it ship well on dry ice? ::)  My son has been messing around with a Little Chief smoker - any thoughts or tips to pass on to him?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 03:25:19 pm »
Sharsies?? Ham ships real well, but doesn't normally last long enough to ship. ;)

I'm not a real pro smoker, just bacon, ham and occasionally a roast of either venison or pork. Used to smoke a lot of chicken, but now that gets rotisseried. I will say that I always cook with a meat thermometer, or at least check the meat with it. This time my mesquite wood didn't smoke as much as I'd like and I let the hams rinse a little too long. It seems to be as much art as science.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Kpete

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 04:06:55 pm »
Fun post, George. thanks for the pics.  Pork and Smoke go together and it looks like you have things well in hand.
I made some bacon this year from a domestic hog.  Not that hard to do and it tastes great.  Rest up for the next salvo.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 11:37:13 pm »
I got out again last Friday night and got another hog, a smaller one this time.

We hunted the same field, caught a break when the farmer shut the cattle in.  It was a new moon and extremely dark.  A storm was rolling towards us with lots of lightning.  Made the video interesting.  We heard the hogs long before we saw them, and had to make about a 250 yard stalk, the last 50 yards the hogs came to us.  Right when we were about to shoot at around 40 yards my friend's night vision scope went on the fritz.  I continued to watch the pigs through the scope while Ed worked on his scope and when they got to about 25 yards he told me to shoot them before they winded us.  They were nearly in selfbow range. :o  The gun is very heavy with that big scope and I blew the easy shot low on the first pig shooting off-hand.  Good grief.  I dropped the second pig I shot at as they ran off, but then missed the big one I missed at first 2 more times as it ran off, then finally missed another small pig to add insult to injury.  Still, it was a fun hunt with good friends and I brought home enough pork to make a batch of breakfast sausage.  Ed did get his scope up and take a few long shots at the sounder that had formed up again over by the woods but didn't connect.

And here's the video.  I tried putting some written commentary in the video, can't decide if it helps or hurts.

http://youtu.be/nOWW1cfv2E8

George
St Paul, TX