Author Topic: cracks in the back of bow after steaming  (Read 1502 times)

youngbowyer

cracks in the back of bow after steaming
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:09:52 pm »
Lately I have been working on an osage stave. I got it to the floor bending stage but the string didnt line up and my heat gun is broken so I had to steam the bow. After I got done steaming I noticed tiny cracks running parallel to the back of the bow. Maybe I wasn't getting enough steam and too much dry heat? Never had this happen before.  Is it fixable or is this a dead project? I can either back it with rawhide and I do have a bit of sinew I could use to cover it up. Suggestions?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: cracks in the back of bow after steaming
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:58:18 pm »
Steam will cause dry wood to check. If you seal the baclk with shellac before steaming you can prevent this.   The checks are mostly cosmetic unless one runs off the side of the bow. Fill them with super glue and you will be OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

youngbowyer

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 12:18:24 am »
ok, I will remember that for future references. The limb is still not aligned so this time Ill bend the handle instead of the whole limb.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 03:05:23 pm »
Pat's right about ignoring them as long as they don't run off the side of the bow.  But if you haven't defined the edges of the limbs, you might want to put a pencil lead into those cracks and mark them really well BEFORE you fill with superglue.  If you put pencil marks in the cracks you will know what areas to avoid when laying out the bow. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of this stave, Tom. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 03:30:09 pm »
If you have the depth you can take anothe rirng off and odds are elimnate the checks. Often times they go one ring deep. Your back almost looks like the last ring of sapwood?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.