Author Topic: Newbie with questions  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Mn9130

Newbie with questions
« on: September 09, 2012, 03:53:31 pm »
Hello all,

So I am new not only to this forum but to archery in general, and was interested in making my own bow.

I have a lot of questions (for once google has not been helpful), mainly "How?"
I really don't know anything about making a bow.  Are there any special tools needed?  What kind of wood is used?  Where do I find wood?

Also, does anyone know where I can find instructions on making a bow?  The methods seem to be extremely diverse, and some seem very dubious.

Thanks,

Mn9130

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Newbie with questions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 03:59:36 pm »
George has a very helpfull site.  Here is a link

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/archer.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 04:03:11 pm »
Look into the Traditional Bowyer's Bible Volume 1-4.............also, The Bent Stick by Paul Comstock  is a very good book.  I suggest study up as much as possible.  Cut, gather, or trade for some wood.  Gather your tools you will need.  Them try your hand at it.  You can make a bow with a hatchet, rasp, and a scraper.  Bare minimum needed.  But shoot I am just a rookie myself.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 04:03:49 pm »
George's site is an excellent place to start. If you have other questions ask away and someone will give you an answer or two...or three!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:39:28 pm »
Find someone near you that makes bows.  Where do you live? There's likely someone on this site that's in your area. books and how-to's are great but there's nothing that beats friendly, hands-on help.

Offline Mn9130

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 08:44:11 pm »
Oh, nice website.  Thanks.

Also, does anyone know if one of those chinese bows (don't know the name) would be possible for a noob?

Here's a link to a pic.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/KaiyuanBowUnstrung.jpg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 08:59:58 pm »
You would have to build bows for many years and understand the processes that go with building one of these Chinese bows. Not something for a newbie. Learn to build a simple bow and learn how to see and achieve proper tiller then you can spread your bowyer wings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 10:50:22 pm »
Most newbies see a composite bow and want to build one really bad, but the reality is asiatic composite bows are the single most difficult bows to build. Every piece has to fit/jointed together perfectly and the horn needs to be soaked, steamed and shaped. Siyahs need to be spliced into the tips with a flawless joint. Sinew has to be applied in a high humidity environment, with hide glue and let dry for weeks (some say months) A special tool is needed to string the bow and even before that the bows belly/horn has to be rubbed or warmed up, Before bracing.
Im not trying to kill your dream of such an awesome and powerful bow. But there are people on this site with 20+ yrs. of bow building and are still intimidated by the idea of diving into such a difficult and time consuming project.

I agree with pat. Build a simple bow And spread your wings :P lol
Kind of get the basics down. But keep researching and learning, look up a professor named Jeffery Schmidt. He's spent years researching and building these bows.
Some styles of asiatic composite are lost to history and there secrets died with the culture that produced them.
Can't wait to see what you build :)

Where are you located? If we knew that we could give you a list of good bow woods to try.

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 02:26:08 am »
P.S. visit the "how to" section of this forum. Tons of build-alongs to follow, in your bow building adventure.

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 04:04:49 am »
what they said, start at the bottom and have fun, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 08:02:11 am »
George's site is great. A lot of first bows are also built following the Red Oak Board Bow directions at Poor Folk Bows.
Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline Mn9130

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 10:55:25 am »
Wow.

Thanks for the info on the Chinese bows, I had no idea how complicated they were.