Author Topic: Bent tips pulled out  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Jodocus

Bent tips pulled out
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:26:17 pm »
Help, I need advice:

I was working on a maple (Acer platanoides) stave yesterday that I planned to make a flatbow from. I had steamed reflex into the tips about 3 month ago. Not too much, just some. about two inches of reflex on the last 4 inches to the tips. I wanted these to be working reflex.

I had done this when the stave was still about an inch thick. This might have been a mistake. Now that it is down to what it is, maybe 2/5", the reflex just pulled out in the tillering. not all of it, but almost.   ???  :o  :(  >:(  :-\

Now: I really want those tips to be flexed. Is it any point to re-bend them? I don't feel there is, but I coul imagine that by thinning it, I cut away all but the compressed part of the wood, this might be better this time that it is as thick as it will be.

I also read you can glue on a second layer of wood on the belly side? I'm far from proficient at woodworking and I use only hand tools, so the thought of cutting that glueline is a bit intimidating. Any good tutorials anywhere?

any other options?

Don't shoot!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bent tips pulled out
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 02:08:34 pm »
Wet wood pulls out, or you didnt leave the heat on it long enough. My guess is moisture.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 03:20:06 pm »
when i steam in recurves a nd such i like to put it back on the form and heat treat after it sit's a bit just for this reason, they stopped pulling out, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 03:34:25 pm »
I second the heat treat after steaming. Also, if you want 2 inches of reflex, I'd steam in 3 or 4.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 03:56:58 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably try the heat treating. I never have heat treated, but I've been planning to do so and wondering about it.

The wood may still be wet, PD, but it has been sitting 4 months in a roughed out state, so it's probably the dryest of all my wet pieces. Also, It had stopped loosing weight 2 months ago. I had really hoped it was dry enough by now.

So:

- I steam bend it again, ab bit more this time. When I'm done tillering.

- I let it sit a while (a couple of days? weeks?)

- I heat the belly where I bent it 'till it discolors, while I still sits in the jig.

- I let it sit a while again.

right?

I have no hot air gun yet, gonna get me one. Does it need finely adjustable temperature or does a simple one do it? anyone ever tried a flat iron? (the thing you use on shirts).  ::)
Don't shoot!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 04:01:13 pm »
Just use a heat gun to flip the tips. Steam is good for statics.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 06:26:42 pm »
Funny you'd suggested a flat iron, I've wondered about it too.
I got a temperature controlled hot air gun so that I could work out what I was doing (since then I managed to break it), however once you have the knack it's ok with an ordinary hot air gut (at least 2000W).
The mistake I made when I started was going too hot too quick and just scorching the surface layer, the second mistake was not giving it a couple of days to re-aclimatize.
To do it right you should get bored rigid thinking nothing is happening, just when you are about to give up you notice the wood is maybe darkening a tad? Then it starts going a deffinite honey, then brown. All this time you are wafting it about an inch above the wood and you are wishing you'd made a jig to hold the hot air gun.
To do one limb takes about 30-45 mins, that gives you some idea.
The problem is with a jig, you go indoors and start to watch TV and forget while the wood is scorching to a crisp >:(.
The great thing about a hot air gun is you can bend and heat treat at the same time. But leave it clamped up for at least 2 days (I usually try for 3 'cos I know I'm an impatient old git)
I can PM you my heat treating notes with actual temperatures if you get a temperature controlled gun if you want me to.
I still use steam for some jobs, there are pros and cons to both.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline scp

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 10:13:31 pm »
IMHO it would be rather difficult, if not impossible, to make a working recurve selfbow out of maple. As for using heat guns, you have to heat the back to bend the tips. That means, you have to make a static recurve. Anyhow I would just flip the tips making it static, just enough to compensate for any string follow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 06:52:23 am »
scp,why do you have to heat the back to bend the tips  :-\ I never do.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Holten101

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 07:30:17 am »
Im with the steam bend followed by dry heat school of thought. Working recurve selfbows are a like walking on a knives edge though....I would go for a static recurve.

Also...those initial 2" of reflex are on the low side...as is the 4".

Cheers

Offline scp

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 10:09:57 am »
scp,why do you have to heat the back to bend the tips  :-\ I never do.
   Pappy

I also used to use the heat gun only on the belly side. Then I broke a couple of tips and that got me thinking. It happened mainly because I was impatient and used too high temperature too close to the wood. But I also realized that for bending wood in boatbuilding we usually heat the wood "on the inside of the curvature."

Cf. http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/bend/bend.htm

Now I heat the back side when I flip the tips.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 10:13:04 am »
Boat planks stay bent, they arent asked to bend back and forth 15"  several thousand times. And they are generally sawn on both surfaces. Heating the back of a bow is a no-no no matter who ya' is.

Offline scp

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 10:50:05 am »
Boat planks stay bent, they arent asked to bend back and forth 15"  several thousand times. And they are generally sawn on both surfaces. Heating the back of a bow is a no-no no matter who ya' is.

Even for static recurves?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 10:55:45 am »
Statics require steaming most often with most woods.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 11:05:52 am »
That's not at all unusual for a whitewood. 2 in of set is par. What's the solution? Just make a bow and enjoy. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!