Author Topic: Well seasoned osage staves???  (Read 1431 times)

Offline snag

Well seasoned osage staves???
« on: August 15, 2012, 12:30:49 pm »
Someone generously traded me some osage for a yew stave. The osage has been down since '98.  Is it too well seasoned
to steam and bend the tips when I get to that point?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Well seasoned osage staves???
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 12:58:34 pm »
I would use dry heat if it was me. Steam might work but will sometime cause seasoned wood to check. :) Dry heat works well,just heat good and bend slow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Poggins

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 02:06:24 pm »
It depends on how mutch bend you want to put in it . A little bit on the ends or down the full length dry will work , but if you want lot of bend in the tips just steam the tips and not the whole stave .

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 03:06:21 pm »
Like Pappy I use dry heat on osage especially well seasoned osage. I do use oil(cooking) to protect the wood from scorching though. I put the stave in the form and heat it until gravity begins to pull it down then I assist it and clamp it to the form to cool. I leave on the form until tomorrow and give it 3 or 4 dars to rehydrate before stressing it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 03:26:36 pm »
I'm with Pappy.  Dry heat on Osage.  I have done it both ways.  Really dry Osage has ended up with grain checks after steaming the tips.  I coat it liberally with Crisco (seems to me to work better than liquid oil but that's just a feeling) and heat it slow and deep before bending.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.