Author Topic: Glues for EWBs?  (Read 5889 times)

Offline MrWarSpoon

Glues for EWBs?
« on: July 17, 2012, 01:24:51 pm »
Alrighty gents, so I'm in the process of making my first warbow and I've hit a little snag: What glue should I use for laminating? I've poured through previous posts and havn't really found a great answer. I know I could use Bow Grip 100 like I've used on other, lighter-draw bows or I could fork out through the nose for some resorcinol based glue... I guess what I'm asking is what is your favorite or go-to glue for EWBs? Thanks everybody :)

--Nick

Offline adb

Re: Glues for EWBs?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 01:31:42 pm »
I use Titebond 3 for all my glue-ups, including warbows. It's cheap, readily available, and cleans up with water. You need to have smooth, clean, and perfectly matching surfaces in order for it to work well. Remove 'gap filling' from your vocabulary for glue-ups with TB3 (or any glue, for that matter).

Offline Ian.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 01:32:57 pm »
I have had Titebond 3 up to 150lb, Cascamite about the same, and Resorcional will handle anything. The biggest question is what woods are you using, if they are oily then use Resorcional, and you don't need to buy expensive stuff, some cheaper glues have Resorcional as a main ingredient.

The glue I use most of all now for all woods types is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CASCAMITE-POLYPROOF-WATER-RESISTANT-GLUE-/190322191636?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item2c50162d14#ht_1122wt_1166

I have heard plenty of bad things about Bow Grip.

What country are you in?
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:23:45 pm »
Here in Bulgaria these adhesives difficult to find. Order from outside. I often use this glue - Henkel

http://www.gsstroimarket.bg/files/thumb8_7b915ca58a2233dcd9c03aad9ea7327d.jpg

it is mixed with resin. Now are sens very well with it and no problems.
Best regards from Bulgaria - George

Offline MrWarSpoon

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 02:37:10 pm »
The woods I'm using are Hickory back, Purpleheart core, Ipe belly. Yeah, BG really isn't the best but have found it to work decently well when compressed and hot boxed for 24 hours and then allowed to sit for another 24 (outside of the hotbox), and Resorcional is getting harder to come by... I was only able to find some from an airplane propellor maker based out of GA. I'm in America, live in Ohio. That Cascamite link you posted caught my eye and then I noticed it's 26.95 GBP, so what, $42.00-$42.10 USD? That's a definatly kick in the willie :embarassed: Never used Titebond 3... you guys think that'll work well with my wood combo or should I stick with trying to track down Cas or Res?

--Nick

Offline Ian.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 02:59:26 pm »
Titebone 3 will work but as Adb said prep, prep and more prep, make sure everything is perfect and you get a strong clamp pressure. That link is for a Resorcional glue, Cascamite comes in a white powder and is much cheaper.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 02:58:44 am »
I've had TBIII fail on a BBI lamination.  Since then I always use Resourcinol.
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of MEAT!

Offline MrWarSpoon

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 03:24:18 am »
I'm making two very similar wb's and I'm gonna run a little experiment with them. I've got some resorcinol coming in the next couple weeks and I've got some TB3 that I'll use on the first. They're going to be exactly the same, minus the glue used, so it's mainly for me to really see how tb holds up, being I've never used it before. I figure if anything goes wrong, it would be my failure during the tiller but I've got high hopes for them. I'll be posting pics when they're done, thanks for the advice guys.

--Nick

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 07:03:25 pm »
Sorry for coming in late.  I've seen a number of bows glued with Resorcinol Resin blow on very cold days so if the winters are harsh where you live that may be a factor to consider.  In warmer weather it works well but I think TB3 is less cold weather sensitive.  I've glued up heavy flight bows with TB3 and they have held well.  I've also seen people glue in bloom repairs with Cascamite that you'd be sure would pop out but haven't!  Don't forget to de-grease before the glue up but better still glue up staright after machining.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 08:49:25 am »
Get the technical specs sheet for whatever glue you are using from the manufacturer -there will be one as it's a requirement but you normally have to ask for one they aren't supplied with the glue. There is a lot of misinformation out there about glues and this is the way to get past it all.
Bows don't go in the cold because of the glue (if glued/prepared correctly!), wood stiffens as it get colder this in turn ups the strain and if the bow was close to 'the edge' at 'normal' temperatures this can be all it takes. Were the bows hickory backed?