Author Topic: 1st handle splice  (Read 1270 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
1st handle splice
« on: August 12, 2012, 12:59:58 pm »
I just did my 1st handle splice. After researching, I decided to do a z-splice since I could cut both pieces at the same time (If you saw my band saw skills, you would know why). Anyway the wood is hard maple and splice fits together quite nicely but you can obviously see light through it. The handle is a full inch thick, but will also have small rounded pieces on front and back. I have read alot about the lack of gap filling capability of the pvc glues and was entertaining the idea of using knox hide glue for the splice. I do have some weldwood plastic cement and 3500 psi epoxy, though. Which do you think would be better? My concern about the hide glue is moisture from sweaty hands combined with shooting on a hot day.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: 1st handle splice
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 01:08:24 pm »
If you heat your splices up with a heat gun or other heat source and clamp everything together without glue you will get a much better fit after everything cools off.

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:14:33 pm »
    Hide glue won't fill gaps. Sounds to me like you'd be best off using the epoxy, along with Eric's advice.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 01:21:25 pm »
Use Eric's suggestion. With good, even clamping this method will give you pretty good, closely matched glueing surfaces.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 03:13:15 pm »
Do I need to treat it like I am bending wood? (lubricate with cooking oil or something white toasting), or just heat it up??
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 03:34:29 pm »
NO OIL!!!!  That would prevent anything from sticking the two of them together.

If you have ever dried down a batch of rehydrated hide glue, you would see that it reduces in volume even worse than PVA glues like the TiteBond line.  If you had perfect wood to wood fit, hide glue might be find, but for any gap filling, forget it!

Post pics, win or lose, we can all learn from what you got going on!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 03:43:08 pm »
Duh. I guess I posted that before I really thought about it. Thanks for the info about the hide glue. It looks like epoxy it is!!