Author Topic: Finish question  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Weylin

Finish question
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:21:36 am »
I've never wrapped thread on a bow for decoration. Do you do it before or after you finish the bow? I'm using tru-oil if that's important.

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Finish question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 03:30:35 am »
Weylin, I usually wrap the handle after I finish the bow. I quess the order might depend on what you are wrapping with. I normally use either suede leather or jute though.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:41:27 am »
normally i'll wrap and then tru oil it, gives a consistant look to the finished bow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:39:33 am »
If I'm doing a handle wrap I at least put on two coats of finish(I use Tru-Oil) before adding the wrap. Lately I've been using hemp cord wrap for handles and after I add the wrap I seal it with Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone).  If I am adding a wrap on a splinter, etc I add the wrap first then set it in glue before sealing the bow. When that dries I add my regular finish over that. For a decorative wrap it probably doesn't matter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 10:52:25 am »
I wrap prior to sealing, but I do seal the wrap with good, clear super glue first. Then finish it off. I dont think there really is a a wrong or right way to do it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:33:16 am »
I wrap prior to sealing, but I do seal the wrap with good, clear super glue first. Then finish it off. I dont think there really is a a wrong or right way to do it.
+1 to this although I use wood glue.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 03:11:59 pm »
thanks for the insight, guys. I'm just putting some decorative embroidery floss wraps on my son's bow. I was inclined to wrap them, soak them in glue and then seal the bow with tru-oil but I wasn't sure if there was a compelling reason not to do it in that order but it looks like it could go either way. I'll post some pics of the bow in a bit.