Author Topic: Preferred White Wood - Hackberry or Mulberry?  (Read 8603 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Preferred White Wood - Hackberry or Mulberry?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 12:40:47 pm »
Heat temper for sure Lee. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 12:42:20 pm »
Just design it accordingly to its sg and give the belly a nice deep dark toasting....I've liked all the hackberry I've worked with(when I'm not a idiot and ask too much of it..lol) I did break one. :laugh:

Dang it pearly u made the warning pop up on me n beat me to the punch... :laugh:

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 02:30:39 pm »
Roger on the "toasted evenly"

Another quickie for any of you Juniper - ERC guys...I have a real nice stick straight, no branches 6" dia ERC I want to harvest before I move from my house.  I know the end need to be sealed up good but if I debark it (I assume it will be easier now vs later) do I need to seal the whole skinned log?

Thanks!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 02:38:39 pm »
Hehehehe...I know which ERC tree you are refering too. Heck yeah,cut that baby down before ya sell it. Id just leave the bark on,cus I like making backed bows with it and it really doesn't matter if your not careful removing the bark. And that way you won't run into any checking issues on the back. Plus its sticky sappy stuff...up to you either way just seal for peace of mind if you do debark it after cutting. But remember it dings easy,so leave the bark on cus you'll be moving it around.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 02:42:57 pm »
Thanks Blackhawk!  Yup, you know the sucker I'm talking about...I might have gotten another 1/4" girth out of it by letting it grow since you were here.  Good points about the bark and moving issues...I will likely (99% certain) sinew back the bows out of it anyway as I want a sexy pink heartwood sinew back rocket launcher to play around with.   >:D
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 03:57:28 pm »
Yup, just like that...just cut it down but I can't say I am impressed with the amount of heartwood...seems a 50/50 ratios of sap to heartwood  :-[
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 04:19:43 pm »
The little bit of mulberry I've cut and used around here, had really big growth rings and wasn't all that dense.  Looks kinda like hedge but doesn't act like it. 

Thats how alot of the stuff around here is. 3/4" thick rings and very very light. But I have also cut some smaller mulberrys that had very tight rings and have been very dense good bow wood. I think, if you can find a mulberry that has grown slow, it will make make good dense compression strong bow wood. But the stuff, like the big fat trees in wet land and by creeks, grow very fast with fat rings and end up being light wood. It's better finding a muberry tree on the top of a dry hill, where all the water drains down and it's roots can't suck up water as fast...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 04:23:40 pm »
You'll have that with erc from time to time....you should still have enough heartwood if you decrown the sap mostly off and make it a short sinewed bow as you intend to do. Most the stuff I've cut out here in pa has only 3/4"-1" of sapwood in it.

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 04:40:57 pm »
Being that I have a ton of Osage ...

Want to get rid of some? I have a ton of empty space that needs to be filled with Osage.  ;D

It's a shame I can't find any in Maryland. I did find a nice mulberry that was getting worked on near my job. I asked the guys for some pieces of it (they were SHREDDING THEM - it was horrible) and got a decent log. I also grabbed a rotten, dead limb that was full of bugs, but after removing the eaten parts, came up with a perfectly seasoned billet - which I'm going to make in to my first mulberry bow. See here:

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 04:56:49 pm »
Being that I have a ton of Osage ...

Want to get rid of some? I have a ton of empty space that needs to be filled with Osage.  ;D

It's a shame I can't find any in Maryland. I did find a nice mulberry that was getting worked on near my job. I asked the guys for some pieces of it (they were SHREDDING THEM - it was horrible) and got a decent log. I also grabbed a rotten, dead limb that was full of bugs, but after removing the eaten parts, came up with a perfectly seasoned billet - which I'm going to make in to my first mulberry bow. See here:

Nice billet!  I should sell some Osage, could use the moving $ but only heavens knows when I'll have the energy to go harvest some again any this stuff is just getting seasoned enough for honest use now.

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 05:09:32 pm »
Like this one  >:D

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=30629.0

Here are a few quick pics of the victim...about 6' long and 5"-6" diameter.

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold