Author Topic: Man lost hand to alligator charged  (Read 2094 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Man lost hand to alligator charged
« on: July 31, 2012, 02:40:13 am »
This so crazy I had to share... And I agree with the ticket..  >:D

Man who lost hand to alligator charged with unlawful feeding

Talk about adding insult to injury: An Everglades tour guide who lost his hand to an alligator last month was arrested over the weekend, charged with unlawful alligator feeding.

Wallace Weatherholt, a 63-year-old airboat captain, was leading a tour on June 12 when the group encountered a 9-foot alligator. Passengers told the Fort Myers News-Press that Weatherholt "hung a fish over the side of the boat and had his hand at the water's surface when the alligator attacked."

Wildlife officials then tracked and killed the alligator, according to the paper. They "retrieved Weatherholt's hand from its stomach, but doctors were unable to reattach it."

Weatherholt was charged with unlawful feeding, a second-degree misdemeanor, on Friday. He posted $1,000 and was released from Collier County Jail.

Feeding alligators is illegal in the state of Florida, where at least 19 people have been cited in the last two years, according to West Palm Beach's WPTV. The charges carry a fine of up to $500 and possible jail time.
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Man lost hand to alligator charged
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 04:28:44 am »
Not quite one for the Darwin awards, but getting close!      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:43:22 am »
At least the tourist got their money's worth on that ride. ;D Now they need to charge the kid that got his bit off a couple of weeks later trying to play 'Gator Boy" ::).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 12:30:47 pm »
I am willing to believe that this was not the FIRST time this gator had been hand fed fish.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 12:31:48 pm »
All you can do is shake your head.....amazing what people who should know better actually do sometimes..(still shaking my head)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 12:33:54 pm »
Sounds to me as though Florida has come up with a natural thinning of the herd......I say give the 2 idiots a second chance...no fines! :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 12:59:08 pm »
At least the tourist got their money's worth on that ride. ;D Now they need to charge the kid that got his bit off a couple of weeks later trying to play 'Gator Boy" ::).

They did get a good deal  8) I'm just curious if the gator yelled, "Dude I got a hand!"  >:D

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:27:58 pm »
Serves the Dumb Ass right.  I feel bad for the alligator, he was Doing his job.  ;) dpg

Those tourists did get a heck of a deal though.  ;D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 10:43:54 pm »
Brian, there's not enough gators to thin the herd that keeps arriveing here everyday. Maybe they could hand feed the croc's and monitor lizards, too. >:D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:25:29 pm »
Too bad he wasn't holding the fish with his teeth!
1’—>1’

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 01:14:01 am »
Eddie, what's even funnier is I bet they would pay for a chance, and there would be a line! Just tell them it's part of the disney expirience... put mickey mouse ears on that gator, they will buy it! ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:17:43 am by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.