Author Topic: WTT flint for knapping tools ***All Stone Traded***  (Read 2828 times)

Offline budmenchaca

WTT flint for knapping tools ***All Stone Traded***
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:19:14 pm »
Howdy Guys,

I have flint to trade from central Texas - I recently went on a rock run in which I collected a couple hundred pounds of beautiful river cobble flint.
I also grabbed a few amoeba-shaped surface nodules...and then I headed to Georgetown where I collected several pieces of nice while/gray swirly material.
(Pics coming later - beautiful colors!)

Here's what I'm looking for:
   Moose Billets
   Leather (Leg/hand pads)
   Ishi Stick
   Pressure flaking tools
.....I will consider any offer even if it's something other than knapping tools so don't hesitate to make an offer.

I'll have to take pics of what I gathered so it'll be this afternoon before I can get some posted... PM me if interested in trading and we'll work something out.

Thanks for stopping by!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's what I managed to gather while in the hill country of Texas:

Three full milk crates and a 5-gallon bucket - not a bad haul for a couple of hours.

Small pile of perdenales nodules - dark material

Beautiful banded material.

Amoeba shaped piece....has a nice ringing sound to it.

Same pc as above with a flake removed.

My daughter calls this stuff Grilled Cheese Flint Tabs.

Side shot of the Grilled Cheese stuff.

Big honkin chunk of Georgetown.

I busted out this preform from one of the Grilled Cheese tabs in about 15-20 min. It flakes like a charm.

I had to make myself leave most of this stuff alone as I'm looking to trade it on here...so if anyone is interested in making an offer of trade, please let me know.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:13:16 am by budmenchaca »
~Vegetarian is an Indian word for "Bad Hunter"
BUD M.
Mason, Texas

Offline seider

Re: WTT flint for knapping tools
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:32:02 pm »
I have some flint from central texas if you could use a different type of rock.  I also have a welding leathers that i use I have one left that i could include in this..  I have wanted to try some georgetown flint have only tryed it once and i was just learning this and it was gravel in no time flat..
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline seider

Re: WTT flint for knapping tools [NEW PICS ADDED]
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 07:53:49 pm »
Here are some of the pics of wha i have..

Offline budmenchaca

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 11:56:41 am »
Seider: I have some of that same stone.

I may still be interested in your leather though.

Is there anything else you wanna get rid of? - I can still get you some of that Georgetown.

Let me know.

Thanks.
BUD M.
Mason, Texas

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 04:29:32 pm »
Bud:  I am going to teach a flintknapping class this weekend and I have made a bunch of 3/4" brown some kind of nylon Ishi sticks, 1/2' hand flakers, and a bunch of hard rubber hand pads.  I do have one large and old moose billet.  Ishi stick will have two different sizes of copper wire so you can choose which end you want to use.  I have used nylon ishi sticks for years and prefer them to wood and as you can see I gave up on strictly traditional years ago as I got older!  I have a pallet full of Texas rock that J. B. Solberger gave to me back in the 60s so maybe we could trade for something else?  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline budmenchaca

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 07:08:55 pm »
PM sent Mr. Wolf Watcher!
BUD M.
Mason, Texas

Offline seider

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 09:17:20 pm »
The leather i have is only one sleave left off of a welding vest that i had.  I have a piece of 1 1/2 " copper but it is not but about 3" long..  I just got a piece of 1 7/8 that i will use now.. If you are interested in both of those let me know