Author Topic: QUESTION  (Read 1327 times)

Offline crooketarrow

QUESTION
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:41:57 am »
  I've never put on fake snake skins before. Is there backing surport in fake skins.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 12:19:14 pm »
No experinece Roy, but my guess is since it vinyl or plastic it wont add any protection at all.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:00:10 pm »
Only seen one pair put on and it was material like pantie hose,very thin and light,might hold down a splinter but I would also say maybe more than a regular skin but not much more.  :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline darwin

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:56:32 pm »
i have one that i bought from rudder bows and its basically a piece of fabric with print on one side i havent used it yet but i imagine it would give about the same amount of protection as an other fabric backing except maybe silk

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:12:44 pm »
 THANKS THATS KINDA WHAT I FIGGERED.
 I've got a really paper thin ringed osage stave that I'm going to use to build someone a bow from.
  Perfect bow to sinew but he dos'nt want sinew. So I think I'll leave a 1/8 inch sap wood and a fake skin.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 12:28:05 pm »
Why not rawhide Roy?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 12:29:44 pm »
I know that belly skin I put on that short bow was thick enough to add a little protection.  Got any fat snakes around you?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 01:21:13 pm »
  I very seldom back bows and the only reason I mine useing this stave is I wooded the backing off I can't even remember when. The guy wanted to go as cheap as he could so it was there I gave the guy a break to use it.
  Raw would work fine just another step to do so if I do'nt need to I don't just lazzy I guess but I've always been this way. I would even but the skin on but he wants it. I've built a couple OSAGE and left the sap wood on that really did'nt need it.
  I know some do wander how much protection the sap wood is. I know it's some BIT THE # OF BOWS I'VE BACKIN THE LAST DOZZEN YEARS I CAN COUNT ON MY FINGERS.