Author Topic: hide glue?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
hide glue?
« on: July 13, 2012, 06:11:45 pm »
I have a deer hide in the frezer that i was gonna tan but i thought about hide glue ...do i need to remove tje fat and hair or could i just cut and cook tjan strain ...or shuld i leve it and go buy knox??got some sinewing to do on 2 bows
thanks for any suggestions  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hide glue?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 08:06:51 pm »
I wouldn't waste a good deer hide to make glue. Make rawhide from it. Use knox or get some "real" hide glue.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 12:29:56 am »
save the deer hide like Pat said.you can buy hide glue in granulated form from wood working stores.you can also get it from three rivers archery.i wouldn't waste the deer hide on glue.i have a wood working store close by that has a big can of granules for 13 bucks.that can would do alot of projects.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 12:36:11 am »
Making hide glue is easy, once you have clean degreased rawhide.   But if you've gone that far, there are better things to do with  the rawhide.   Save the scraps though, for a batch of glue later.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 06:42:49 am »
someone did a how to in bows for making hide glue, try a search, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹