Author Topic: Stave bow #1 complete  (Read 2466 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Stave bow #1 complete
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:20:15 am »
So, I finally got this crazy stave bow done, some of you may remember the post from a  couple weeks ago. It's my first stave bow, and my first character bow. The stats are; 59# @ 26", and it's 59.75" long. This is also the shortest bow I've made to date. Lots of firsts on this one! I was aiming for a lower weight, but to be honest, I was afraid to remove any more wood. There's a couple spots that are still making me a little nervous, but it shoots great. I think I'll be hunting with this one in the fall. Thanks for lookin.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline danny f

Re: Stave bow #1 complete
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 04:50:41 am »
nice bow, well done on the first stave, you definately give yourself a challenge there.

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 05:25:23 am »
Well done on your firsts! What type of wood is it?
Was your stave already deflexed at the handle before working on it? If not then it is bending too hard there, look at the unbraced picture this is where all the set is.
The upper limb needs wood removing from 6 - 8 inches above the handle to the tip.
The lower limb is looking a little whipped so could do with some more wood removing out from the handle and mid limb being careful with the tip area.
Good luck.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 08:42:02 am »
Thanks guys. I forgot to mention, it's hop horn beam with a silk backing. Ya the handle is bending too much and it ended up with some set, but it shoots great anyway. The upperlimb has a spot between two major  knots that's only a little over an inch wide. I don't think I'll be taking off any more wood there. The bottom limb has the biggest knot just under the handle, battled a hinge just under that for the longest time. It's not a perfect tiller, but it works.

Tattoo Dave 
Rockford, MI

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 09:22:45 am »
Lots of nice character in that one. Those character bows with big knots and wiggles can definitely be a challenge, sometimes you just have to take what the stave will give you with them, looks pretty good. :)

Offline scp

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:29:12 am »
If you have not done it yet, how about heat treating the areas that bend too much?

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 09:34:19 am »
Looks good to me, Dave. nice bend. I admire you guys that get the most out of those crooked staves.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 04:03:20 am »
Rock on man there was a lot to work around there ...shoot her with pride, and make meat this up coming season!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 06:04:17 am »
Nice work on a challenging piece of wood.Cool. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good