Author Topic: Should I or Shouldn't I  (Read 3451 times)

Offline wolleybugger

Should I or Shouldn't I
« on: June 21, 2012, 08:57:45 am »
  I got a chance to shoot in a local 3D shoot. It will be put on by mostly compound shooters and there will be a few recurve shooters and maybe one or two longbows. The shooting event is for a local charity. The shooting stakes will probally be at pretty far distances, 20 yards out to 40 yards. Cant figure if its worth my time to go and shoot my Osage self bow or am I wasting time and arrows. Its the only time some  shooters ever see anyone shooting a self bow, kinda nice to let them know there are a few oldheads still kicking.lol I'm a pretty good shot out to 20 yards  but it gets real ugly the further out the targets go.

Offline iowabow

Re: Should I or Shouldn't I
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 09:30:08 am »
Do it! They will be looking at your bow not your shootin. Then more will start shootin wooden bows.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 10:30:15 am »
Shoot! If you don't like the long shots, take a zero and then move in for a more reasonable shot to make a statement. I only worry about the score when it comes to filling the freezer ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 10:56:59 am »
Once upon a time there was a shoot every weekend in our area, all mixed shoots with the emphasis on wheels.  If they didn't have the traditional stake set at a reasonable distance(often they were ridiculously close), we would shoot from the open class compound stake first(longest) and take a few more shots as we closed the distance to the target. If a member of our group was interested in competing they took a scoring shot from the trad stake. Most of us shot for fun and didn't turn in a score card.

Now all the clubs but one have gone belly up, the one that is left is so wheel orientated they look at you funny at the sign in desk if you show up with a trad bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 11:30:42 am »
Go to the shoot, buy a score card to support the shoot but just shoot for fun and don't keep score. Find a comfortable distance to shoot from and practice for hunting season. If anyone gripes tell them you bought a score card and have the right to shoot. Just go and have fun.
  I never liked shooting with compounds because thay take too long to shoot. Between range finders and a card showing you where eack 12 ring is and holding at full draw for a minute or two it drives me nuts.
Be proud of what you shoot. You are doing something that most of them can't do.Go and have fun!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 04:14:58 pm »
If it is for local charity and you support the charity, go!

Go ahead and fill in the score card on the shots you chose to take.  On the shots you deem unacceptably long, or iffy, mark it "unethical shot-passed".    ;)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 06:05:42 pm »
Jw i think the iajam course was a blast. I wish more people shot primitive bows heck i would set up 3 shoots a year
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 07:03:50 pm »
Shoot, Man.  Shoot!  You'll be the envy of the crowd.  Wheelers love our bows!  Like the others said, shoot at reasonable hunting distances and call it practice.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:54:39 pm »
Like the rest have said, Shoot Brother, Shoot! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline BearG

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 11:25:37 am »
Hell shoot for the fun of it. If stakes are to far move up, if something is said let them know your not shooting for score. Just if you move up stay in sight or in group so a compounder shooting from a million yards don't shoot ya. >:D
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline seabass

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 06:15:40 pm »
i say shoot it,it might spark some interest in selfbows.how could they not want one after they see it.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 03:04:25 pm »
shoot your bow.  the wheelie folks need to see one.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 09:35:44 pm »
pay your money and go shoot, if they are so close minded and judgemental that they don't like it they can pound sand, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 10:34:10 pm »
I've shot 3Ds for years and never once have I had somebody complain because I was shooting traditional or primitive.  We shoot 5x faster than they do, so even if I have to hunt for an arrow every now and then I never hold them up.  Most of the time when I come up behind a group of wheelie bow shooters they want me to shoot through. They know they'll never see me again because I'm so much faster.  No guessing yardages or looking with bino's, just step to the stake and launch an arrow.  Love it when I shoot a 10 right in front of them. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 10:41:22 pm »
Kind of like what George said. But with us, they wanted us to shot through because we were having so much fun. They did not like all the noise. If you support the charity then go shot for fun. Who knows, you might make a new friend that is interested in getting real.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.