Author Topic: New to bowyery  (Read 4415 times)

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
New to bowyery
« on: June 12, 2012, 03:20:19 pm »
I've only been making bows since around January, and for some reason the only wood available where I'm stationed now, aside of tons and tons of pine, is red oak from Lowe's or Home Depot. I have 4 kids, so I don't have a lot of time to devote. I've tried cutting down trees of my own, the first was a persimmon that was riddled with ant colonies, and the second, a few days ago, was a decent sized hickory that had the same problem, but I'm hoping I'll be able to work around... after the wood dries out... in a year. Until then, I would REALLY like to get my hands on some Black Locust or Dogwood, but local mills are only interested in soft woods around here. I contacted a guy in North Carolina (I'm in Augusta, GA btw), but a Black Locust log, unaltered, would be $70+$100 shipping. Does anyone have any advice or could anyone help me procure some decent wood. While my product, so far 5 out of 6 (I broke my very first one. Good lesson on proper tillering.), have come out looking really nice and working perfectly, I'm tired of being restricted to kiln-dried red oak boards.

Here are two pictures of my most recent creation. Red oak, near-pyramid design for quickness and reduced hand shock, around 38# at 28", "Merlot" colored stain from Lowe's, unbacked (whole board was only 2 or 3 rings throughout most of it. Incredible SG), hand-wrap is a ripped up t-shirt, and I had my mom paint the vines and flowers. Sold it for $50 to a coworker who had me commission it for his girlfriend. Smoothest shooting bow I've made so far.

I make my bows using a drawknife, hatchet, bowie knife for scraping, and wood files for the nocks and grooves in the handle.

Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: New to bowyery
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 03:31:53 pm »
Nice artwork on that bow.

I don't know if it is the same in your area, but around here I see Black Locust fence posts advertised on craigslist for $5 a post. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline LivingElemental

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 04:04:30 pm »
I'll look into that. Thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 04:45:06 pm »
Welcome to a perfect hobby!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:26:52 pm »
Nice work!  I have seen a lot of different handle wraps, this is the first one from a torn up t-shirt!  I gotta tuck that trick away in my brain for later, I'm a lifetime-committed scrounger.

There has to be some bow wood around Augusta...I hope some Georgia crackers will chime in and give you a hand!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 10:35:10 pm »
Nice work man! You should be able to get way more than 50$ for a bow!!! Do yourself a favor and charge a little more next time, those things are a lot of work.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 09:39:30 am »
That was a nice job on that one! Mom did a good job with the art work, too!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 10:40:24 am »
Welcome! That's a pretty bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline LivingElemental

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 11:16:28 am »
Took the advice to look on Craigslist. Turns out there's a TON of people selling firewood, and a guy I contacted said he cuts down a lot of hickory. Think I may have finally found my drug dealer. Thanks for the help.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 12:09:59 am »
Feed your addiction as fast and as hard as you can.  The sooner you reach rock bottom or die the sooner all this will be over!  Drown your sorrows in shavings!    :laugh:
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.