Author Topic: Elm? Opinions.  (Read 1738 times)

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
Elm? Opinions.
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:25:19 pm »
I cut down a small tree back in January to make it into a walking stick. Wasn't really sure what it was, but it had kind of a natural handle shape with it, so I cut it down. The more I look at it, Im beginning to think it's winged elm. You guys know? Is it possible to make one this small into a decent bow? It's about 5 1/2 ft long. I cut a small portion off because i wanted to split it and make them into nock tips, but it was impossible to split with my little wood wedge and hammer. Here are some pics.

Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline LivingElemental

Re: Elm? Opinions.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:25:28 am »
Anyone?

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:30:41 am »
Winged elm is great bow wood, but I couldn't do anything with that piece.   I would have to use something bigger. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:40:36 am »
Looks like a perfect candidate for a walking stick :)

But a bow...? Why? Don't you have anything better? It's short, crooked, highly crowned, unknown wood, knotty...you're not making it easy on yourself. For what reason?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:47:39 am »
Looks like winged elm to me,as far as a bow,I have seen some pretty nasty stuff turn into a usable bow,you never know. You just have to jump in and see how it bends as you move along,I will give you one piece of advice I tell a lot of folks on any bow for that matter,it's just a piece of wood so don't fall in love with it until it is a shooting bow,cause it can and will lots of times ,especially on that kind of wood break your heart.  ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:53:38 am »
Ive played with my fair share of nasty wood,and still do on occassion just for the fun of it,the challenge,and to learn something. If thats what ya wanna do i wont say no,but in my opinion and if it was mine i prob wouldnt mess with that piece for bow wood...now a walking stick?..well now were talking

Offline LivingElemental

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 11:47:16 am »
Only asking because good seasoned wood is so rare in these parts. I drool over anything that's not evergreen.

I'll just set it aside for later.