Author Topic: any ways to speed up drying process?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Shondy55

any ways to speed up drying process?
« on: June 08, 2012, 01:26:11 am »
hey guys,
last x-mas i cut some osage logs and have six staves drying out in my attic.  I've been making some board bows to pass the time and I'm dying to start on an osage bow before i have to leave for school (to use for next deer season).  is there anything i can make/do that will speed up the drying process???

-shondy
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

mikekeswick

Re: any ways to speed up drying process?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 03:25:15 am »
Yes it's dead simple. :)
Pick a stave, chase a ring and reduce it down to a stage where it is 'floor tillered' but simply don't bend it very far. If you get ANY set at all that is the point at which to stop. The idea being that you have made the wood as thin as possible so it can dry as quickly as possible. Seal the back with shellac and then weight it as accurately as you can. Mark this weight on the stave and keep weighing it everyday. You will see it losing weight over the days, when the weight loss stops give it another few days  and then start working it again, keeping a good watch for any set or wood that is acting a little 'damp' eg.not springing straight back when load is taken off the limbs.

Offline johnston

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 06:09:33 am »
...and while you are waiting make a deer killer board bow.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 11:14:55 am »
  hot box
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:25:25 am »
I just finished up a 3" HHB sapling bow that was cut April 31st. Holds over an inch of reflex and shoots better than any bow I have built, including sinewed bows. No hot box for me. I used the wind and sun.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:48:25 am »
Send it to me! With RH around 6% and temps over 100 it will be dry in no time.   ;D
Seriously don't get in a big hurry. Get down to near bow dimensions and give it some time. The quicker it dries the more chance of checking and warping.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 06:10:15 pm »
Even a fan will help. Get that air circulating.

Offline Shondy55

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 08:18:34 pm »
thanks guys! but how exactly does one chase a ring, and what does chasing a ring even mean???
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline Newindian

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 01:27:46 am »
I'm hardly an expert but, chasing a ring means that you are taking the back of the bow down to one growth ring along its entire length, the preferred method is to cut the wood down with a draw knife which can "glide"  on the top of the ring or use a cabnet scraper I use a pocket knife. Some times people use a bandsaw  >:D, or sandpaper, two opposite extreams.
I like free stuff.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 08:12:16 am »
Well, other than the band saw part where I suspect he was kidding, New Indian is right on. With osage the common approach is to remove the bark and white sapwood and use one of the yellow heartwood rings as the bow back. The common tools for this are the draw knife and scraper. It is a lot of work, but with experience it can be done reasonably quickly. Your first attempt is going to go slowly though. Most people I teach get comfortable with the process in a couple hours and finish their bow back in 2 or 3 sessions of about that length. Subsequent bows they do faster. It's much easier to demonstrate than explain. Look for youtube videos on osage bow building, most will show at least a little of the process. If you're near Dallas, come to my shop. I've toyed with doing a video just on chasing a ring, but never have. By now there's probably one out there.

One other thing. Once you've exposed a few inches of heartwood, seal it with some shellac. Even long cut osage can have enough moisture in it to check.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX