Author Topic: Onondaga hunting point  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Onondaga hunting point
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:20:52 pm »
I got a small amount of onondaga from a friend in Ny. an here's a small point I managed to get from this material, some pretty tuff stuff but makes sharp durable type points. Thanks for looking, Bob

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Onondaga hunting point
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:27:10 pm »
Fine looking point. '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 06:44:51 pm »
  thats  a  nice  head!!   where in  Ny  can  you find  that  stone????   I'm  in  NY  maybe I can  look for  some?? JEFFW

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 07:28:33 pm »
Jeff, Ononadaga is found on an escarpment that roughly runs from Niagara Falls to Albany then turns south an heads into Pa. Roughly rt.20 from Buffalo to Albany. I am not computer savy but there are guys who goggle earth an you can some how see this escarpment line an places where streams or highway cuts go thru this they cut rock outcrops an expose rock, Of course with any type rock there are all kinds of grades an problems,frost fractures blasting fractures,to name just a few. Some Onondaga is a pleasure to work an is high grade stuff. Actually the few pcs, that i have came from the Candian side of Niagara Falls area. Also when you first crack open Onondaga it has a high petroleum smell to it, thus the nickname of stinkrock. Check out Dan Long's website for some beautiful Onondaga blades an points

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:46:00 pm »
 That's another good one, Bob. I have quite a bit of that and like Ryolite I keep going back to it. James Parker told me a little trick about Ryolite I'm going to try and if it works I'm going to try it with the Onadoga.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:08:33 am »
love
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 10:25:39 am »
That stone looks tough,but you really made a nice one out of it.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 10:58:03 am »
Fine little huntin point there! I love making a sharp oint from tuff rock then knowing its gonna last.

Offline Will H

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 12:22:22 pm »
Nice one Bob! I haven't had a chance to work much of that stuff you sent me. But you done real well with that piece ;) did you punch those notches?
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 02:44:41 pm »
Bet that is some durable stone. Probably can shoot it many times without too much trouble.. Good looking point.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline chertle

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 10:56:03 pm »
That rock is really cool 8) It is almost metallic looking!  Great point as well, hope you have fun with it :P
Leslie
Indiana