Author Topic: rawhide (chuck) bowstring  (Read 2231 times)

Offline IsaacW

rawhide (chuck) bowstring
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:43:27 pm »
Cross posting this here from the Bow Forum to hopefully get more views and thoughts.  Thanks...

I twisted up some woodchuck rawhide (hair on) and made a couple strings yesterday.  Currently they are drying.  What do you all do after it is dry??  Do you work it a little less stiff?  Grease it with anything?  Wax??

We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline burchett.donald

Re: rawhide (chuck) bowstring
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:50:48 pm »
    Isaac,
             Some folks grease their rawhide strings. Seen some videos on YouTube and you may do a search here. I use wax but my strings are made from flax because of it's performance and no stretch. I like the fact you are keeping it primitive or period correct.
                                                                     Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 01:39:15 pm »
Thanks.  I had a linen one that I have been using for a couple years (before that and on other bows I have had linen and even B-50).  I always waxed those but my recent-most string snapped the other day  :-\  I decided it was time to take that chuck hide from the chuck the dog got this summer and make it into a string.  I have been wanting to do that for awhile... both because it would be and look cool and for the historical nature of it.  Gotta get it on the bow now that season is here and temps are dropping!!!
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:43:34 pm »
    Would love to see pics of it when it's dry and ready to shoot. Let us know how durable it is after using it. Never tried any raw hide yet.
                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 02:27:28 pm »
    Would love to see pics of it when it's dry and ready to shoot. Let us know how durable it is after using it. Never tried any raw hide yet.
                                                       Don

Will do! 
Aldo Leopold

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 11:11:21 pm »
Not thick enough of plys, not enough plys, or too poor of woodchuck rawhide.  I snapped both strings with just initial stringing and barely pulling back on the bow   :'(   The bow pulls #60 at 25"... a bit of a beast but still... poor construction on my strings.
Aldo Leopold