Author Topic: First try at direct percussion  (Read 1294 times)

Offline chertle

First try at direct percussion
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:09:49 am »
So here is my first try at reduction that actually worked.  I was able to take a block and shape it into a point.......notice I didn't say a pretty point ;)  It is the shape but it is still really chunky.  I tried to thin it with pressure flaking but I just don't have the knowledge or skill.  Let me know if you see something I could have done differently or if there is still something I can do to salvage this piece.  Back to my tonage >:D
Leslie
Indiana

Offline Tower

Re: First try at direct percussion
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:54:55 am »
Chertie, you seem to have a good grasp for knapping. My advice is always remember centerline! Forget it & all you are doing is making little rocks outta big ones.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 01:10:51 pm »
Well that one worked out nice! Good looking stitched edge and ready for more thinning..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline woodduck

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 07:13:05 pm »
Looks like a good reduction process. Now put an Ishi stick to it to thin more ;)

Good work! Is that Sonora or KY Blue?

Tracy

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 08:27:06 pm »
i agree with tower...  always watch your centerline... it changes with the removal of each flake.
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 12:03:02 am »
Chertie, looks like tour making progress. The one piece of advice I can give you to go along with watching your center line is to look for ridges to run your flakes on. The ridges are usually on your thick spots anyway and if the ridge runs across the point then the chances are good that the flake will run past the center of the piece. Also be patient and grind your edges. Look at your point from all angles before deciding on where you need to take your next flake. One more thing that really helped me was to attend a knap in. There is nothing like seeing it done in person by people who can explain how to do it.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 01:17:51 am »
Lookin good Chertle!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei