Author Topic: Wisconsin Girl, 7, Shot in the Back With an Arrow  (Read 2819 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Wisconsin Girl, 7, Shot in the Back With an Arrow
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:08:50 am »
Read the article.. Another black eye for archery..

Wisconsin Girl, 7, Shot in the Back With an Arrow

Alyssa Newcomb
Today, 12:49 PM

Police in Campbellsport, Wisc., are searching for the person who fired an arrow that hit a 7-year-old girl in the back.

Aryanna Campbell was walking with friends Sunday evening when the arrow hit her from behind, said Mick Fink, Fond du Lac County Sheriff.

"It certainly appears to be a stray arrow, but at any minute that could change obviously," he said. "We are hoping the people in the area will come forward."

The arrow had a target tip on it rather than a more destructive hunting tip, Fink said, "which is a good thing otherwise it could have been a fatal impact."

Police canvassed the neighborhood and confiscated a bow and arrows from a man who lives in the apparent path of the arrow. Those items are undergoing analysis at the state crime lab to determine whether they are related to the shooting of Aryanna, Fink said.

The 7-year-old underwent surgery and is recovering in the hospital this week, her grandmother Michele Schneeberg told ABCNews.com.

"It was very scary. She was in real bad shape," she said of the moments after Aryanna was hit.

Schneeberg said the girl has taken a few steps and can't talk but is "still on pretty heavy pain medication."

She said she is just as baffled by the arrow strike as police.

"I think it was somebody doing something without thinking," she said. "Even if it was an accident, please own up to it."

I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Jimbob

Re: Wisconsin Girl, 7, Shot in the Back With an Arrow
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:28:25 am »
What a tragic story!!  Surely hope the little girl turns out fine without major lasting effects.  Yet another reminder to know what you are shooting at and what is behind it.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:20:27 am »
Being careful is NUMBER ONE, yet accidents happpen. A string breaks at release and that arrow screams to who knows where. I have had a few isolated incidents being Mr Careful. Im glad she is okay and Im glad it was a field tip, the other wouldnt allow a happy ending.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:05:25 pm »
That is scary.  I wish I had more room for practice shooting...I'd hate to think of something like that happening.
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:22:31 pm »
I have a wooded area behind my house that holds my targets. The closest road in 100 yards through 100 trees. My buddy Dave skimmed one of the target Saturday and it somehow made it within 10 yards of the road. Its that easy even with a 100 tree backstop.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 04:00:37 pm »
Sad story for everyone involved most specially for the young girl.
Who ever owned and launched the arrow should step up and do right.

This puts an exclamation point on me getting my butt in gear to lay hands on some netting to back up my target area.
I live in town and have a double fence built extra high behind my target area.
The thought has been in the back of my mind that it ain't enough.
specially once my young boys start shooting in the very near future.
I have seen some nylon minnow netting work beautifully as an arrow drop.
But have had trouble locating the netting.
Looks like its time to double my effort.

Thanks for bringing attention to this story Cipriano!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 05:37:00 pm »
Hey Gus if you build say a two legged 5 x 5 roof right over your target you can catch those bounce off strays quite often and protect your targets from weather.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 05:34:56 pm »
  My heart goes out to the little girl.  That was really a tragic story and should be a lesson for all of us that you can't be too careful when shooting.  I am lucky to live in seclusion with big round bales of hay for a backstop.

I watched a couple of the national network news programs that covered this story.  In both the broadcasts that I saw, the reporters seemed to be in error in their descriptions of the "hunting arrow" used.  I hope that it was just ignorance on their part, rather than another malicious dig at hunters in general.  Anyway, I did notice their use of "hunting arrow" while showing a still photo of the x-ray which showed a field tip.  I guess they don't know any better.... 

The more familiar you become with any weapon system....  the more complacency can creep in.  Be safe with these things guys, they are deadly weapons.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

kurogane_84

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 11:19:50 pm »
That little girl has my prayers that she will recover quickly, i hope the person who does not take proper precautions when shooting a bow, which is a lethal weapon they should be banned from having anything to do with the sport/ lifestyle, I shot towards a bank, there is an old path but i look, listen and all round make sure there is no one there

Offline mississippidave

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 03:18:50 pm »
That's a very unfortunate story....whoever is responsible should own up to it.....Make backstop is the lake I live on...It's a drag to have to swim or canoe to get em if they miss the target or the yard inbetween but better than potentially hitting one of the neighbors...although I'd love to hit the neighbors cat.....