Author Topic: Snakeskin application question  (Read 5813 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

Snakeskin application question
« on: October 02, 2007, 05:42:24 pm »
I am going to be putting skins on my next bow.  I have done one other one, and I was not happy with the results.  My first experience I used diamondback skins I purchased from 3Rivers.   The skins were Western diamondback and were about 36" a piece.  I laid the skins out and used masking tape to pull off the scales.  I soaked it a few minutes and then squeegied off the excess water with my fingers. I used Titebond 2 and carefully laid a piece of plastic wrap, then wrapped with an ace bandage.  I had heard several people say to get a really smooth finish, to use thin superglue to basically fill in all the imperfections.  I used a small brush to apply a thin coat of superglue.  I finished the bow wipe-on Poly, but the snakeskin is still rough and textured, and doesn't feel like it even has any finish on it. However, the belly and handle of the bow has a nice luster like the Poly has done in the past.
  I have seen pics of some bows here that have skins, and the finish looks like glass, even over the skin.  How do you achieve this look??  What type of finish, technique, etc. do you use???
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Snakeskin application question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 07:08:38 pm »
Mickey Lotz has a great tutorial on snake skin backing a bow on his site.  http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpage/snakeskinbacking.msnw    Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 07:21:29 pm »
Thanks, Justin.  I've visited Mickeys site quite a bit  :)  However, that particular tutorial doesnt really go into detail on the finishing aspect.

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:34:12 pm »
I don't think you can get the glass-like finish over snake skins with wipe-on poly or a can spray.

This may not show the difference but here is a wipe-on poly/snake job by yours truly. You can "feel" the skins:

Here is a bow masterfully built by Dano, a Thunderbird spray/ snake job, you cannot "feel" the skins:

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:31:43 am »
Hi Titan,  In the past my skin backed bows have been rather roughly finished too.  I was talking to George Newman last weekend though, and admiring his bows.  His snake backed bows are only slightly textured.  He claims he uses tung oil varnish and applies several couats to start filling in the texture.   His bows are gorgous!  By the wayGeorge and I both strip off the scales after the skins are fully glued to the bow.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 01:48:48 am »
Lost Arra, that bow by Dano is exactly what I'm talking about.  Any ideas what you'd need to be able to apply a finish like that??  Would I need a compressor and air gun, or is there a cheaper way?  I thought I'd heard somewhere that you could use the model airbrush guns that use an aerosol can, anyone have any experience with this??

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 05:42:46 am »
I use gun stock Tru Oil and between each coat I use steel wool,rub it in the direction of the scales,from the handle to the tips.rub it light and then another coat.It will take 6/7 coats
to get them smooth.I use the rub on kind.They will be smooth as silk,can't feel the scales at all.
I let the Tru oil dry a day between coats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 09:05:01 am »
Titan: here is the sprayer Dano told me he used:
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/bad/bad250-4.htm

I'm not sure if he used a compressor or the canned propellant.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:56:22 am by Justin Snyder »