Author Topic: new guinea bow  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

new guinea bow
« on: May 11, 2012, 05:46:21 pm »
I won a raffle many years ago at the TBOF spring shoot and won a bow and arrow set from Papua new guinea.  Anyone have any idea what kinda wood it might be made of.?  Im nearly sure its not black palm. It has knots and such and it dense like hardwood. the whole bow has been blackened but by sliding off the cordage nock, the wood is clearly lighter colored yellowish. kinda like osage or mulberry colored. someone once told me it was mulberry....but who knows if there even have mulberry there.  anyone familiar with these bows that may know the species of wood?  i want to make a replica of the set as i dont want to shoot the original. I'd be really sad it it broke!.
It's clearly a sapling bow. very rounded on the back and flat on the belly. bamboo arrows and bamboo string.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: new guinea bow
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:34:25 pm »
I dont have a clue as to what wood it could be made of, but i would realy like to see some pics.
Steve Bennett

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:23:30 am »
twistedlimbs, I did a quick check on the flora of papua new guinea. Your bow could be about any kind of wood. Supposedly there are over 1200 different kinds of trees, and over 400 of them appear no where else on earth.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »
how long is the bow and how wide? I'd be really interested to see this bow
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 05:28:50 pm »
yeah i did that search too and saw how many there are..lol  i will take some pics this weekend sometime.. its just a plain straight, bendy handle bow. i will give dimensions too.  it has like zero string follow, and is pretty dense like ipe or osage, i might have to make the replica out osage and stain it real dark. id love to shoot it for a comparison but there is no way i am going to risk it!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive