Author Topic: First bow is getting there(still plenty of mistakes)  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
First bow is getting there(still plenty of mistakes)
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:44:55 pm »
American hhb (ironwood) with rawhide backing, (because of breaks).
Me and my uncle got the tiller pretty perfect and then reflexed the limbs more to account for set...
But for the first limb we used a recurve jig that I had modeled off of this site, it worked great on previous selfbows, but this jig had a back to it, so it bounces some of the heat onto the belly of the bow, which melted some if the rawhide :P :'( we ripped it up and then glued it back, and also glued a Osage lam to the other limb(which we reflexed with a diffrent jig)

This is the same bow from my first post on this site, it just doesnt seem tomwant to be a bow >:(
But I will force it and make it fling some arrows for me

Ps. I shot it today,(without the recurve and thinned tips) not too special, no fist pumping. It just seemed a little sluggish(I shot it right after my uncles awesome bbo so there was no comparison)

"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
Re: First bow is getting there(still plenty of mistakes)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:56:12 pm »
Sometimes, you just can't beat the wood. I had a bow made from maple that just refused to be a bow. I broke it twice and finally admitted defeat.

I still have it in the basement though...

But I'm not saying you shouldn't keep trying - there's always a way to make it work, even if you have to 'cheat' to get there.  >:D
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Re: First bow is getting there(still plenty of mistakes)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:10:41 am »
So far this thing has been through 2 breaks, a hinge and a lot o' work, it will make a bow worth being proud of. Thatmuch I am sure of

I would have posted pics but we wrapped It up too fAst
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:29:01 am by Youngboyer2 »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.