Author Topic: Penobscot  (Read 12293 times)

makete

Re: Penobscot
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 09:18:20 am »
I have always wanted to see one of those bows made. Was it difficult to get every thing lined up and shooting god? Tell me more!!!!!!!!!! ;D  Have only seen one like it in an old book. Like Jbell said how much more weight did it add? All I can say is AWSOME!!! Thanks for posting it.

jamie

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 09:39:28 am »
really nice . like the others said i like that you used your noggin and saved the bow. peace

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 12:18:11 pm »
You really did a good job on this one! I bookmarked it under "self bows" for BOM. If we had enough bows such as yours, take-downs, etc I'd set up a Unique Category
What is the wood for this bow(s)?
Nice bowstring - parachute cord?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Kegan

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 01:56:46 pm »
Thanks everyone ;D! The bows are both hickory, and yup- that's parachute cord. I have been running low on good binding materials lately, so I figured just to tie the whole thing together with it (it works decent for bowstrings). The smaller bow seemed to add somewhere between 5-10#, but more than that it hadded tension in the beginning of the draw, and kicks in when you reach toward full draw. It has been too humid to get anything for sure lately though. It wasn't that difficult to get working, but i did have trouble getting all the string properly taught (you can still see the slack when unstrung and even a little when braced) and messing with brace height. I can't wait to get some actual shooting in though, the humidity is taxing all my bows :P. I think I will try this with my back-up bow... Wanna try some variations with it. I didn't have mcuh expectations, figuring it would take alot more (having seen the one Marc made and the old PA articles on it), but this little quasi-Penobscot turned out to be a shooter :)

CHUCKER

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 02:17:53 pm »
 That s what I call stepping out of the box. Waste not want not.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 04:16:50 pm »
Spectacular rendition of what I've always thought was one of those really out there ideas some primitive guy had.

Dave

duffontap

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 04:50:15 pm »
Kegan,

Parachute cord huh?  You remind me so much of my first year of building bows.  I was taking free tie-down twine from the lumber yard for my strings because $8.50 for a role of Dacron B-50 was prohibitively expensive.  I love the fact that you are doing what you can with what you've got.  You took a D-bow, experimented with it by adding recurves, and then experimented some more.  It would take me 6 months to build a pemobscot bow--you just dove right in.  If you don't burn yourself out, you'll have a bright future as a bowyer.  We need guys like you and Sean to popularize primitive archery for the next generation.  Tell your friends.

J. D. Duff

Offline PeteC

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 10:31:13 pm »
That's a great little bow ,and et al to what everyone else said.God Bless,  Pete C
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Kegan

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 01:10:15 pm »
Kegan,

Parachute cord huh?  You remind me so much of my first year of building bows.  I was taking free tie-down twine from the lumber yard for my strings because $8.50 for a role of Dacron B-50 was prohibitively expensive.  I love the fact that you are doing what you can with what you've got.  You took a D-bow, experimented with it by adding recurves, and then experimented some more.  It would take me 6 months to build a pemobscot bow--you just dove right in.  If you don't burn yourself out, you'll have a bright future as a bowyer.  We need guys like you and Sean to popularize primitive archery for the next generation.  Tell your friends.

J. D. Duff

Thanks ;D. I doubt I'll burn myself out though, I seem to keep getting simpler and simpler- which makes it alot easier and more fun;). I'd like to think I'm trying to get the word of primitive bows out there, and I seemed to, if nothing else, created a respect and admiration for wooden bows amongst fellow young archers :).

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 02:46:10 pm »
That is a great looking bow. Nice tiller on the main bow.
I have never seen anything like that before. Really interesting.
Very nice save as well.

I am curious how you tied the string on to the short little bow in front. Can you please post a pic of that setup.

Thanks
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Kegan

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 06:34:22 pm »
That is a great looking bow. Nice tiller on the main bow.
I have never seen anything like that before. Really interesting.
Very nice save as well.

I am curious how you tied the string on to the short little bow in front. Can you please post a pic of that setup.

Thanks
wade

Just like the big bow, only on the outside :)

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 10:49:32 pm »
Wow, had to vote for this one!  Id say this is the closest thing to a primitve compound bow if there  ever was. Just dont go and add any wheels or cams to your next one though. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Kegan

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 08:54:05 pm »
Nope ;D. Next one I want it to be a little narrower, and use rawhide for the strings (and grip). Got a few peices of hickory already picked out ;)...