Author Topic: Sand Before...Or After...?  (Read 2329 times)

Offline gudspelr

Sand Before...Or After...?
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:07:46 am »
So, I just spent the last little while starting on my first arrows.  The shafts are bamboo (not dead/brittle) and I set out to begin straightening them.  I don't have a heat gun (yet) and I've seen others use steam, so figured I'd give it a whirl.  After beginning on a few shafts, I decided to go and and sand off the nodes before continuing on.  I have a little belt sander and watched a video of a guy using one to help get the nodes down to size, so I went to it.

Honestly, I wasn't entirely sure how much to try and sand and perhaps that's part of my problem.  It's entirely possible that I sanded a bit too much on some of the nodes...  Anway, I took them back in, put them over my pot and came back here where I read the sticky on Home Depot bamboo arrows.  I noticed he sanded the shafts after straightening.  Is that the best way to go?  The reason I ask is, after letting the shafts heat for a little while, I started trying to straighten them a bit and each one broke-at the node... :o.

Are these still salvageable or was the strength compromised too much at the nodes when I sanded them down prior to straightening?  I've seen some bamboo arrows that just seem ridiculously smooth/straight and am wondering if I'll end up there at all, looking at the beginning product.  If these are pretty well shot, I don't suppose it's all that bad-they were REALLY cheap (read free).  Thanks for any insights.

Jeremy

Offline oldhippy

Re: Sand Before...Or After...?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:50:48 am »
   Jeremy, usually I straighten the shafts first and then sand. I have also shaved the node down before straightening with a pocket knife. Seems like I break more if I shave them first, but I will still break one occasionally. I have never used steam to straighten cane, I use a propane camping stove, a charcoal grill, stove eye or a candle. Seems that the cane will stay straighter if you apply just a bit of temper,not enough to scorch but just to turn a nice dark amber color. Truth is, you really don't have to sand the nodes down, The arrows should fly fine even with the nodes left intact.

oldhippy steve
I'm only a figment of my own imagination (:::.)

Offline wasanchez

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:52:37 am »
I have more luck with dry heat.  Both times I've used steam I have broken shafts.  But that was with dead standing (but not rotting) cane so that could have been a factor too.

Walt
Walter Sanchez
Moulton, TX

Offline agd68

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 02:21:48 pm »
Breakege is probably due to steam. There is a series of videos on youtube where a lilttle old Japanese gent is making bamboo arrows the traditional way. He pares the nodes down with a knife, scrapes off the waxy rind then heats and straightens then usin a charcoal oven affair.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 03:34:00 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I think I might try dry heat with the next ones.  And I saw the videos you were talking about-pretty amazing.

Jeremy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 06:49:20 pm »
You want to straighten first then sand. If you sand first the cane will break at a node when straightening. (don't ask  ;D )
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline agd68

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 10:53:02 pm »
PatB has it right. I went back and rewatched the vidoe. The old boy does all the hardcore straightening befor sanding and light touch up straitening after.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 07:37:16 am »
What Pat said,also I usually instead of sanding or cutting down the nodes I heat them and roll them on a flat block and compress them. You can use anything round
like a screw driver but I use one of them arrow straighteners [roller] from Ace,it does a good job.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good