Author Topic: Band saw questions?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Band saw questions?
« on: May 09, 2012, 05:02:13 pm »
Well I've been selling off a lot of my old bow collection and other items in order to purchase a new band saw and finally have the needed funds.
I've settled on a new Grizzly 14" 1 HP that they just introduced but the big question is, for working on wood bows what is the proper size blade that you guys with experience recommend? How wide and how many tpi? I've decided to order the Band Saw Handbook along with the unit as my only experience has been with smaller hobby type saws and figured the extra $15 would be well spent.
I sure would appreciate your input. Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Badger

Re: Band saw questions?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 05:05:11 pm »
 Fred, I have the delta 14" which is very similar, I use the 3 and 4 tooth 1/2" blades. Take the extra few minutes to learn proper set up if you don't already know it. Save you a lot of money on blades and will cut much better.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:35:07 pm »
Badger, do you have a particular brand of blade that you've found works better than others?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 07:44:45 pm »
On my grizzly i like the timber wolf blades 3 tpi as wide as you can for the grunt work...keeps it from wandering...but what badger has suggested is a great bit of advice ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 08:02:33 pm »
I use a 3 TPI 1/2" blade on my Porter Cable 14"  w/1.5 hp... works great!  Cant stress enough about proper tuning for the saw too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:14:23 pm »
3,4 or 6 tpi Timberwolfs for me. 1/2" wide. I have a 14" Grizzly. Tune, tune, tune and keep it tuned. That saw will do just about any bow building task you ask of it. Just take it easy and let it work. I have halved some logs on mine with ease.....and patience.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:42:48 pm »
Thanks guys for your input. It comes with a 3/8" blade but they don't state how many tpi. What advantages / disadvantages are there for going with a narrower vs. wider blade? Specs say it will accept 1/8" up to 3/4".

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:30:06 pm »
Narrower blades can cut tighter radius curves. Wider blades tend to wonder less, cut straighter. I perfer 3/4" blades myself.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.