Author Topic: need help making a double loop string( mods feel free to move this)  (Read 2281 times)

youngbowyer

Hi, I have not been making a lot of bows lately because it is springtime and i like to go fishing in the spring ;D that's just the way things are. I hunt and bowbuild in the fall and winter but from march through july i fish and the cycle starts over gain 8) anyway, i've tried and failed to make a double loop bowstring and every time one loop falls out. i made a string jig but its way off, it makes my strings too short! Any advice and/or dimensions for a proper string jig.
Thanks,Tom.

Offline osage outlaw

You could always try an endless loop string.  That might be easier to get the correct length.  Or, you could make one loop and use a bowyers knot on the other end.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Diligence

http://www.angelfire.com/sk/myplace/sparky15.html

this is not my site, but I've used the instructions on it in the past - was pleasantly surprised to see my old links still work....

D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline bubby

yb i'll dig out the drawing for my string jig, works great, i also have a book on the flemish twist, you can have it if you pm me your address, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
I had a string jig I bought at a trad shoot in the '90's that worked great. When I got back into the sport last year, I couldn't find it so I downloaded a plan for building my own from the web. After I built it, I had the same problem as you when I first started. If your string is coming out too short, measure and adapt which nail you use to allow sufficient string to compensate. It worked for me. I built a few before I got it just right, but now it works like a charm!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Please explain "one loop falls out". Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

youngbowyer

I have made several flemish twist string before but always with one loop and i tie a bowyers knot on the other end. However, if I use a bowyers knot on my recurve, the string will break after a few weeks. I have tried and failed to make a double looped string, I do what I normally do but I just make 2 loops instead. When tension is applied, one loop unravels. Not sure what i'm doing wrong.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

I had that same trouble for a while and if its the same problem that I had, and heres the fix I found for it. After I twist up the first loop I take one of those paper clamps, the springy metal things that are shaped like a triangle with the two levers, and clamp it above the loop to keep it from unraveling while you twist the other. Then I twist up the other side and I found that when I do that it twists the main length of the string in the opposite direction of what it needs so before you take the clamp of holding the first loop you made twist the string in the direction that it needs to be, then you take the clamp off. Now you can pull on the loops of the string and hope it holds. This is what works for me. Clear as mud? And hope this helps

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Mo-coon catcher's procedure should help you. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!