Author Topic: Weekend Points  (Read 1419 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Weekend Points
« on: April 28, 2012, 01:48:37 am »
Got my weekend knapping going early tonight.  I started with a half point I found on the tarp cleaning up at cross plains (actually all 3 I worked on came from the tarp).  I had it almost done last night, then stepped it badly on the last pass.  Had to lose quite a bit of width to clean it up.  Didn't realize the notches were a little off kilter until I saw the picture.  Then I broke a pretty piece of alibates that I had nice and thin as a preform...bummer.  Finally I took a georgetown spall and got a little larger point.  It has some bad concrete at the point end which kept me from thinning it there like I wanted.  Got the base nice and thin though.

The weekend is starting out pretty good.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Weekend Points
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 01:51:49 am »
They look pretty darn good to me.
It was to stormy to crunch rock the past few days. Hopefully this weekend.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:52:39 am »
Those look great George!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:59:02 am »
Fine points George!!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 09:28:29 pm »
Good way to start or end the weekend! Good looking points!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 09:39:13 pm »
Those look great. You need to make you a booger picker for the one on the right. I can't knap, all of my tools are at Twin Oaks. :(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 10:17:33 pm »
Those look great. You need to make you a booger picker for the one on the right. I can't knap, all of my tools are at Twin Oaks. :(

LOL.  Your tools may be in Tennesee now, but in a few days you'll be there too and it'll be me that's envious. ;)  Have fun.

I haven't been able to knapp yet today.  We spent the day goofing off, working on the deck, got the pool ready and swam for the first time this summer.  The water was a balmy 74 degrees, took a bit to get used to.  But, I'm heading out to bash some rock now, hope it goes well.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 11:19:06 am »
Looking good George! Wish we were back out there on the tarp, i miss that place! Have been working on my pressure all last week and hands are so sore that i better give it a break..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 01:17:24 pm »
Well, I posted too soon.  Everything I touched after that point on Saturday I messed up.  I'd get to the last pass and then step it bad.  I have 2 points out there that are totally different material but identical in the mess-up.  Bummer.  I got so frustrated I actually started another osage bow, got it bending and took out some twists and bends with heat.  Just as well, I owe somebody a bow.  Some days I guess I'm not supposed to knapp... ::)  I'm gonna start focusing on pressure too.  I watched a bunch of video when I was supposedly watching TV with Mary. 8)

I wish we were out on that tarp too, that was as relaxing a time as I've had in a very long time. ;D

George
St Paul, TX