Author Topic: making bow forms  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Blacktail

making bow forms
« on: April 27, 2012, 02:58:15 am »
for some reason i all was mess this up..i seen pat b post some pics for a guy about a peach sucker he put on a form...and i loved the reflex in the form..SO,the question is how do you go about making a form with reflex...thanks john

Offline Judo Point

Re: making bow forms
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 03:32:50 am »
Well I just got done making my first form and I used Gary Davis' method from his rattle stick DVD which gives the bow more reflex gradually toward the tips. It's kinda complicated to explain but Gary explains it well in the DVD. Any way I'll be watching this thread cause I'm planning on making some more forms.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 04:02:53 am »
I did the same thing Judo Point.  I recently made the caul from Gary's DVD.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 05:34:38 am »
Draw a free hand curve of one limb on a big sheet of paper, fold over and cut. Hey presto, a symetrical patern. Tape it to your plank run it through the band saw, bish bash bosh jobs a good un.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:08:08 am »
you can also take a backing strip, put a nail for mid bow set back for the amount of reflex you want, then one on each end short of the end of the backer strip, put the middle behind the nail and the tip's in front of their nails and draw the outline, easy peasy, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 01:18:36 pm »
I use screws and aluminum yard sticks. Find a center and flex the stick until you dig it. Put a few screws in to hold it and trace that line. Repeat on the other half.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.